10th, 11th, 12th

Sophomore Porter Wyche wants to be an epidemiologist. He states, “My aspiration for the job has increased with COVID-19. The current situation facing the world inspires me to one day research the cause and spread of diseases.” (Provided by Porter Wyche)

10th: Porter Wyche

School is very important to Wyche. He has a 4.0 GPA. “I want to perform well academically so that I can go to a good college. As of now, school is my primary concern and performing well will benefit me in the future,” he stated. He has a fascination with all things related to science and history. “I have wanted to be an epidemiologist for most of my life [because] I’ve always been interested in disease and prevention. My aspiration for the job has increased with COVID-19. The current situation facing the world inspires me to one day research the cause and spread of diseases. [For history], I’ve always found historical events and eras extremely interesting,” he commented. 

Porter is currently taking two music classes at UP, one orchestra class for viola and a beginning class for cello. 

Besides school, Wyche enjoys playing baseball and reading. Porter likes historical novels and historical fiction ones too. “I spend the majority of my time studying or going to the park to practice baseball. At the moment, I am reading Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. Most of my days are pretty busy but I try to keep a good attitude towards life, especially when put under the extra troubles quarantine has brought.”

Wyche believes he was chosen for Student of the Month for many things. “I would say it’s because I’m a pretty consistent student. I score high on the majority of my tests and complete all [my] work before it’s due. I try my best to put in extra study time for each subject so I have a better understanding of our topics.” 

Junior Tayler Avila is still unsure about which college she would like to attend, but would like to become a biology teacher. Junior Julien Pineda, a long time friend of hers, stated, “I see her doing her very best in a top notch college, maybe even graduated going for another degree or already working her dream job.” (Tayler Avila).

11th: Tayler Avila

Junior Tayler Avila is a kind-hearted and hard working student. It is one of the very reasons she got Student of the Month. With an average 4.0 GPA, she puts her all into her school work and daily attitude, making sure she is always doing her best.

“I was so happy to find out [I got Student of the Month]. It made me feel like I was actually doing something right and getting noticed because of it,” started Avila, adding, “I was a little confused too because I don’t know what I did to get it but it’s still nice to know that I got it.”

My plans are to go to any college that seems to be the fit for me,” Avila began. “I’m not really set on a college yet but I want to be a biology teacher so I want to major in that.”

“I just try to make the best out of my situation and I wanna make others be happy to go to class too,” said Tayler Avila.

But, what does the normal school day look like for Avila, now that there is online school? She touched on this, saying, “I wake up and go to my classes. I’ll be more awake and active by 2nd period so that’s when I start to talk and make jokes. I might make some food, who knows. I eat in class because my health is important. Then the end of the day comes around and I close my computer because I just need that time to relax and decompress and once I feel ready I’ll do my homework. If I have practice or church then I’ll do my homework after.”

Avila recognized the confusion COVID-19 brought to her learning environment, saying, “My way of learning is very hands on so just trying to learn it over the screen is so hard and I never get to see my friends anymore so I feel lonely. But over this quarantine I have become so much closer to my family and it’s made me realize how important they are to me. Also, I’ve met some amazing people that have changed my life forever and I’m so thankful for them.”

Even Avila’s friend since seventh grade has something to add about her. Junior Julien Pineda said, “Honestly she is super nice and always positive. No matter what is going on in her own life, she always puts forth the effort needed in ASB when I ask. I’m sure that carries to her other classes, as well. Even in a virtual setting she still gives off so many positive vibes.”

“She’s more than deserving of Student of the Month,” started Pineda, “I see her doing her very best in a top notch college, maybe even graduated going for another degree or already working her dream job.”

Avila advises underclassmen who are dealing with the new school environment caused by COVID to, “try to get out there and talk to people, even our teachers, because this year is going to be one of the most memorable years of our lives. Do your best and even though it’s hard, find something that will motivate you. Hopefully it will all be over soon.”

12th: Jason Bonilla Romo

Senior Jason Bonilla Romo was quite surprised he won Student of the Month. “It was a pleasant surprise, I haven’t won anything like it [at] UP before. I was congratulated before I even saw the website so it was very surprising,” he stated.

“I think that there are people more deserving, there are tons of students who are working just as hard as I am in worse conditions, although their work is harder to see,” He stated, being very humble and a bit unsure.

Bonilla Romo’s day of school is now different with Covid changing the environment of learning. He said, “I usually wake up an hour before school, line up my classes, and any other work I have to do. Do some last minute studying. I also make breakfast for myself and make some food for my little brother when he wakes up.”

“It’s easier to ignore school being in a room with a bed and entertainment, no one’s there to immediately stop you. It makes it super tempting to not do work,” he said. “I do have a lot more time to do stuff after school, though.”

“I want to get into a university, I would like to get my Doctorates in psychology and buy a small building to conduct private psychology business,” he stated.

Senior Dina Youssef has been a friend of Jason Bonilla Romo for 4 years, meeting him in middle school. “I think he got Student of the Month because he’s a hardworking student and when he puts his mind to something, he will make sure it gets done. He has a lot of determination and it’ll take him far in life.”

And to those underclassmen who are having problems right now with the confusing start to school from COVID-19, Bonilla Romo stated, “I know it’s easy to ignore and overlook school now, but the effort you put into school now will pave the way to your future. Put the effort in now so you can make life easier later.”