Freshman+Student+of+the+Month%2C+Amaris+Esparza+

Provided by Amaris Esparza

Freshman Student of the Month, Amaris Esparza

November Students of the Month

December 13, 2020

7th, 8th, 9th

Seventh grader Yaddira Morales thinks she was nominated because she participates in class and is determined to have good grades. When not focused on school, she likes to spend time with family, ride her bike, and read. (Provided by Yaddira Morales)

7th Grade: Yaddira Morales

Seventh grader Yaddira Morales likes to spend as much time with her family as she can. She also likes to focus mainly on schoolwork. When she has extra time left on her hands, she likes to read and ride her bike outside to enjoy the fresh air. 

Although she is dedicated to her studies, she also likes to play basketball and volleyball in and outside of school. This year, sadly, she couldn’t make it to tryouts because she didn’t want to risk getting Covid-19. However, she said, “If I had the chance to go to tryouts on safer terms I would have, but there’s always next year.”

When asked if she would join any of the clubs at school, she said she “would pick art because it helps [her] be more creative and it challenges [her] while still being a fun activity.” 

When she gets older, Morales wants to eventually become a teacher because she likes to help others learn and understand school topics.

Morales thinks that she was nominated for Student of the Month because she always participates in class and is determined to have good grades. She also thinks she got nominated because all her teachers say that she is always very patient while trying to learn a new lesson in class. 

Eighth grade Student of the Month winner Anugraha Bhatta (left), shown here with eighth grader Jordyn Toss (right), loves politics. “My whole life I’ve always been intrigued by the dangerous and complex world of politics and would like to major in Political Science and Economy in an out-of-state college.” (Provided by Anugraha Bhatta)

8th Grade: Anugraha Bhatta*

As an eighth grader, Bhatta looks forward to going to high school and finally getting to see what it’s all about. Considering the ongoing pandemic, he feels that it just won’t be as fulfilling to open his computer in order to join class as it would be to walk through the gates on the first day of school. Bhatta likes to think of himself as a simple teenager who spends his time on the popular known apps such as TikTok and Instagram. On these platforms, he likes to share videos, pictures, and quotes on what he believes in as a person.

One of his favorite subjects in school is history, which has led to his love of politics. Bhatta likes to keep himself occupied by catching up on the daily news, which has recently been about the 2020 elections and the new lockdown rules along with a plethora of other news. He said, “I’m really into politics, it’s always been one of my main passions.” He continued, “My whole life I’ve always been intrigued by the dangerous and complex world of politics and would like to major in Political Science and Economy in an out-of-state college.”

Bhatta believes he was nominated because he always finishes his work in and out of class and gets it done either early or fast. He always participates in class assignments and likes asking questions when he feels he needs a sense of direction. Other than that he says, “I honestly don’t know why I got nominated, but I sure was surprised to find out that I won Student of the Month.”

Freshman Amaris Esparza has been playing sports all her life. Currently, Esparza is still playing soccer on a club soccer team. “At first we had to socially distance so we were far apart from each other but it was really hard to talk to our teammates and bond with everyone. All our games are pushed back to January, probably more but now we are getting more training and conditioning. Now we are able to touch the ball and do drills with our teammates.” (Provided by Amaris Esparza)

9th Grade: Amaris Esparza

Amaris Esparza was the Student of the Month from the freshman class; she believes she won because of her grades and constant participation in class. Esparza ideally wants to be a  professional athlete but has physical therapy on her mind as a back-up career. She wants to get first hand experience with professional athletes. Esparza has been playing sports all her life, recently with 4 sports at the same time: soccer, basketball, cross country, and volleyball. 

Esparza has been playing soccer and basketball since she was six years old. “At first my parents made me, but now it’s something I can’t live without. I love it now.” She is currently still playing on a club soccer team.

As well as soccer and basketball, Esparza is in cross country. This past season was her first. “It was just for conditioning because I get to run a lot, but after my first season with the school, I got to run in different places, it was very refreshing.’’ Regarding scholarships, she states she is leaning more towards track and field or basketball.

Her last sport she plays is volleyball. She joined during middle school but it is a slight struggle for her. “It’s hard because I’m short, but I’m working on my jumping skills and it is worth it to hit the ball. It’s just so fun.” She comments, “Usually I would do a recreational team instead of just school, because multiple sports at school is hard.”

When the pandemic hit, Esparza actually felt some relief. “It was relieving to have this year off from sports, it gave me a lot of time to practice skills and do more conditioning. It turned out to be pretty helpful.” She explains further, “Something positive [that came from the quarantine] was my physical health; I think I have a nice body. Also my stamina: I’ve been running a lot and I don’t get so tired easily.”

She states that sports are mandatory in her life, “[They’ve] always been a part of my life, I need [them].”

*Correction made 12/14 at 7:34 AM. Last name corrected from “Bahatta” to “Bhatta”