A Different Kind of Thanksgiving

Janelle White

On November 13th, the State of California’s Health and Human Services Agency limited holiday gatherings to at most three households. As the comic shows, the state suggests that face coverings be used, unless while actively eating or drinking. In that case, individuals should stay six feet away from people outside of their household.

Aubree Byrom, Journalist

Thanksgiving is coming right around the corner and Californians need to ensure that rules and regulations are followed in order to stay healthy and safe. For many families, concerns about COVID-19 have prevented some of the usual plans for gatherings.

The State of California’s Health and Human Services Agency has compiled rules and regulations that prohibit more than three households gathering together. Mixing different households does increase the risk of COVID-19. The less households there are at a gathering, the more the risk is reduced. The State of California recommends gathering with only people from the same household, and three should be the maximum.  

Thanksgiving gatherings with three or less households should be gathered outside. If in any case that gathering is held inside, it is suggested that you have good air circulation, such as opening windows/doors. This is to keep the air fresh and flowing through.

Junior Abigail Rivera-Pantaleón  has stated that her plans for Thanksgiving have stayed the same. “I help my mom make the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy,” she said. “It is just me, my mom, my dad, and my two younger brothers.” 

Sophomore Matthew Richard Whitacre addressed how he and his family celebrated Thanksgiving before the pandemic, stating, “We go to my grandma’s house for dinner,  and then have [separate] dinner at my house.” His plans have changed to simply staying home.

If you are attending a gathering, it is suggested you get the contact information of people present, so you can trace back if it is discovered someone in your party contracts the virus. If anyone tests positive for COVID-19 after the gathering, you must notify the organizer and attendees to see if there was any other exposure. 

It is suggested that anyone at high risk stay home. It is also strongly advised that anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 or any other disease should also stay home, as well.

At the gathering, you should stay at least six feet apart, eat by windows or doors or gather outside, and wear a mask. Also, wash your hands and sanitize as much as possible. 

Sophomore Caitlin Stark has stated her family usually has bigger reunions. “Usually it’s my mom, dad, brother, aunt, cousins, and grandparents on my mom’s side. They will all bring food over and we’ll all eat and be grateful. After, my dad and I will go and visit his side of the family.” She has said her plans have changed due to COVID-19. 

“All of my mom’s family isn’t meeting all together, but my parents, brother, grandparents, and I are still meeting up to celebrate,” Stark concluded.

Plans for Thanksgiving may have changed a lot for people, especially for those with big families, but all gatherings should rely on the rules and regulations of the county and state in which they live.

For more information visit this site.