October Students of the Month

November 18, 2020

In an effort to better engage students, every month teachers will be nominating students for “Student of the Month.” Every grade level will nominate and choose one “Student of the Month” for a total of 6 students who will be recognized each month. 

According to junior Anna Komorita, who is head of the academic committee in high school ASB, the idea was created to increase student participation and motivation in classes.

As part of the nomination process, a Google Form is sent to all teachers every month, and they are asked to nominate one student for each grade level they teach. ASB then places all of the nominations on a new form and teachers are asked to vote on the nominees.

A student can only win once per school year, and winners will be featured on the school website, Instagram, and in the yearbook

7th, 8th, 9th

Photo courtesy of Vanessa Okpala

7th Grade: Vanessa Okpala

Vanessa Okpala was born in Abuja, Nigeria. Despite leaving at one and a half years old, she recalls a little bit about life there. “I remember I had a favorite song. Before I would take a shower, I would jump on the bed and sing the song.” She still has a deep passion for music; she has been playing the violin for 4 years now and intermediate strings is one of her favorite classes. She looks up to the a cappella group Pentatonix, specifically member Kevin Olusola. “[He] plays the cello and makes it seem so easy.” Her other favorite class is science. Okpala stated that she enjoys the crafts and lab work and engineering also interests her. Her goal is to become a gynecologist. She does not know why she was chosen to be Student of the Month. She states, “A teacher told me there was news… I was scared. I thought it was bad news.” She put the pieces together when she saw her name in the UP to Date announcements. Okpala believes that good conduct and perseverance are what it takes to become Student of the Month. When asked what makes a student fit for UP, she stated, “Behavior and discipline. If you don’t have good behavior and discipline, you won’t be able to keep up with your grades.” She hopes to graduate with a high GPA and eventually go to CSUSB and then UC Riverside.

Photo courtesy of Anthony Ludegna.

8th Grade: Anthony Ludegna

Anthony’s favorite food is the Original Charburger from The Habit, and he enjoys editing videos for his older sister in his spare time. He also hopes to eventually start his own YouTube channel. Although he doesn’t consider himself to be a role model, Anthony does gain inspiration from one of his family members. “If I have to be honest, my older sister [inspires me] just because she’s always kind of like perfect with what she does; she’s the one I make videos for and she has me there making videos for her all day, making sure it’s perfect.” According to Anthony, a good role model is “a person who appreciates…things like hard work and does hard work themselves, [and one who] is good and is determined and is persistent with their work.”

9th Grade: Alisa Rajha

Photo courtesy of Alisa Rajha.

Alisa Rajha is a very creative person. She has a very big imagination and likes writing fictional stories. Rahja also loves photography and wants to be either a photographer or a photojournalist. On her instagram page she finds pretty; her observant nature helps her take pictures. She is also a well-rounded student. She is currently in Yearbook, GSA, Seek to Inspire, and Key Club. During class, she works hard, always has her camera on, and unmutes a lot to engage in discussions. She advises other students to participate in class and do their work as well. At first, she didn’t know about the award and when she found out she was very proud of herself. Her cousins are one of her biggest motivators because they graduated with good grades and went to a good school, so she wants to follow in their footsteps. On her Instagram account @little_alisa_photograph, she showcases photos of things she finds pretty. She enjoys writing, and writes fictional stories in her free time.