Tiktok Ban Hearing Postponed Until November 4th

Tiktok users are conflicted on the proposed ban as they benefit from the app

Provided by Nathaniel Thornton

Senior Nathaniel Thornton (left) posts Tiktoks with his boyfriend. Some of his videos have garnered over 200k views. The Tiktok ban hearing has been delayed until after the presidential elections in November.

Vivien Tran, Journalist

Tiktok is an app used by many people of age. It’s used to make lip-syncing and dancing videos. It’s also a creative outlet. People can show off their talents like drawing, singing, painting, or comedy and they can also get recognized for these talents. People can express themselves whenever they feel like it.

According to The Verge, US lawmakers and President Donald Trump are considering banning the Tiktok app due to growing suspicions of the Chinese government and security concerns. The US government is concerned about the app’s handling of user data. US lawmakers are worried that TikTok is being forced into giving data to the Chinese Communist Party.

Tiktok took control of the action, and sued the US government for President Trump’s ban of Tiktok. According to the New York Times, the company said, “Our more than 1,500 employees across the U.S. pour their hearts into building this platform everyday.” 

According to CBS News, the Tiktok ban has been recently postponed. The ban is scheduled for November 4th, one day after the presidential election. Tiktok can still be rescued by the tech company Oracle, but the fate of Tik Tok still remains unclear.

Junior Hilary Martinez benefits from Tiktok. She states, “I think [the ban]’s irrelevant, there’s so much more going on in the country, like all the fires, the virus, protests, stuff like that are things [President Trump] should actually focus on instead of an app used simply for fun.”  

Pullquote Photo

I think [the ban]’s irrelevant, there’s so much more going on in the country, like all the fires, the virus, protests, stuff like that are things [President Trump] should actually focus on instead of an app used simply for fun.”

— Hilary Martinez

When she was asked about how the app impacted her life, she answered, “I have learned stuff that I will actually use in real life; up until a few months ago, I had no idea what a credit score was until a person on Tiktok explained it and gave tips on how to maintain a good score.” 

She continues stating, “Tiktok has also helped me with choosing my career, and since there are obviously people of different ages on there… they talk about the requirements, expectations, and experiences, in their career which helps us have a better view of what we want to do.”

Martinez also enjoys learning new dances when she’s bored. 

When asked about the ban, sophomore Liliana Olvera answered, “I think that Tiktok should be deactivated until they fix the problem. I don’t think it should be banned entirely because the app serves a great purpose for many people.”

School can be stressful at times. Olvera gets helpful tips on the app. “In some ways, it has shown me easier ways to do homework. For example, the app has shown me websites that will better explain something I don’t understand,” she said. 

“[Tiktoks] take my mind off school or whatever has been stressing me out and help me feel better and more relaxed,” she remarked.    

As for stress, Tiktok helps freshman Jenice Lee with it too. She explained, “Whenever I feel stressed with school, I take a little break on Tiktok for a few minutes.” She continues to say, “and then get back to work because it honestly helps my brain to restart and work better.”