The Worries of Health Care Worker Families

Pictured+here+is+Senior+Alyssa+Cosico+and+her+mom.+Her+mom+works+with+COVID+patients%2C+and+is+one+of+the+heroes+on+the+frontlines.+Cosico%27s+family+has+had+a+small+scare+from+the+virus%2C+but+has+overcome+it.+Just+like+many+health+care+worker+families%2C+they+also+take+precautions.+But+even+with+precautions%2C+many+families+still+are+worried+for+their+relatives.+Cosico+states%2C+%22I+was+worried+for+her%2C+and+I+continue+to+worry.+School+has+helped+me+try+to+stop+thinking+about+it.%22+

Alyssa Cosico

Pictured here is Senior Alyssa Cosico and her mom. Her mom works with COVID patients, and is one of the heroes on the frontlines. Cosico’s family has had a small scare from the virus, but has overcome it. Just like many health care worker families, they also take precautions. But even with precautions, many families still are worried for their relatives. Cosico states, “I was worried for her, and I continue to worry. School has helped me try to stop thinking about it.”

Angelica Baclig, Journalist

With the number of coronavirus cases still increasing in California, health care workers also continue their job. Months of dealing with patients in the hospitals have put them in danger. Although not all health care workers work with COVID patients, there is still danger present. Not only are they worried for themselves, but their families are also worried for them as well. 

With an overwhelming number of confirmed/suspected COVID patients in California hospitals – 3,129 hospitalized and 892 in the ICU (according to The California Department of Public Health) – there’s no doubt health care workers are overwhelmed. The U.S. still has a shortage of medical supplies according to the Harvard Business Review. After all these months of dealing with the pandemic, personal protective equipment (PPE) still hasn’t been fully recovered, which adds more worry to the family members of those who are health care workers.

Sophomore Hannah Ogundiran, whose mom works with COVID patients states, “I do worry about my mom, but she does take precaution. I just hope people will be careful and think about their actions during this pandemic so that it will be over sooner.” When asked what impact it would have if her mom did get COVID, she explained it will not have a big impact. Ogundiran indicated that she helps her mom with most household duties to take some stress off of her mom’s hands. She further explained that her whole family has talked about their plans if they were to get harshly impacted by the pandemic. Ogundiran states, “My family and I fight our challenges very cautiously one day at a time when it comes to this pandemic.” 

According to the World Health Organization, 1 in 7 coronavirus cases are composed of health care workers. To put that into context, that is 362,262 active cases out of 2,535,836 in the United States alone (as of September 30th). On average, 14% of healthcare workers have the virus inside one hospital. 

Junior Jetrho Paulino, whose sister works with COVID patients, was asked about his thoughts about the World Health Organization’s report. Paulino responds, “It’s scary but I know the number of COVID cases aren’t as high here in the High Desert, so I don’t worry too much for my sister.”  

Siblings sophomore Marie Reyes and eighth grader Nathanael Reyes both have one thing in common: the worry they have for their mom. Although their mom does not work with COVID patients, their worry is still present. 

Sophomore Marie Reyes states, “Even though my mom doesn’t work with patients infected with COVID, I still worry for her because she still works at the hospital and knowing that COVID can take lives, I can’t imagine losing her.” 

Even though my mom doesn’t work with patients infected with COVID, I still worry for her because she still works at the hospital and knowing that COVID can take lives, I can’t imagine losing her,”

— Marie Reyes

Eighth grader Nathanael Reyes points out the impacts it would make for their family if their mom did get infected. He states, “My mom helps all my siblings with their homework; if she does get the virus, my dad would struggle taking care of all my siblings [and doing tasks] such as helping them with their homework. I would be more involved with taking care of my younger siblings along with my older brother and sister.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, COVID- 19 spreads when “people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.” Knowing that the virus spreads easily, health worker families are sometimes forced to isolate themselves from each other. As some health care workers work, they can sometimes get sick and with the pandemic, it’s hard to tell what you are sick with. That’s the case with senior Alyssa Cosico. 

Cosico’s mom also works with COVID patients, and she further explains that her family had a small scare when it came to her mom being sick a few months ago. Cosico states, “For safety measures, my mom self-isolated herself from me and my father. It was heart wrenching that I could still see her but act like we were still close together. Self-isolation really does get to you.” She also talked about how if her mom did get the virus, it would have a mental and emotional toll on her. 

Nevertheless, if health care workers do or do not work with COVID patients, there’s no hesitation when saying that they still risk their lives to save lives. Working at the hospital where there are COVID-infected people has given their families concern and that concern will continue with this virus still amidst us.