The Past, Present, and Future of the Yearbook

Paula Petruschin

Alumni Madison McGinty, Gustavo Meza, Mariah (Dani) Gonzalez, and senior Kelsey Bautista (third from the left) hand out yearbooks at the end of the 2019-2020 school year. This year, Bautista urges students to buy yearbooks. She states, “We encourage people to buy it to see how hard their classmates worked all year for a book worth their while.”

Abby Barajas, Journalist

A yearbook keeps the most precious memories of the school year safe to remember and reflect upon. Many students can look back on a yearbook from the past and smile on how they and their friends have changed. A yearbook is not only a history book; it is also a fun tradition. On the last day of school, many students go around signing each other’s yearbooks as they talk amongst themselves. Last year, this tradition, like many others, was made digital after students were suddenly forced to go into quarantine on March 13th.

Since then, more than six months have gone by. Distance learning has been a stressful experience for many during this time, but it has been extremely taxing on the yearbook committee. Although last year’s book was able to include all their planned events before quarantine started, this yearbook will have very little events to choose from. Additionally, senior Kelsey Bautista of the yearbook committee states, “Yearbook is something we teach in person, not over screen because it helps the editors develop a relationship with our staff.”

Yearbooks have been around for a very long time. According to TreeRing, yearbooks have been around since the 1860, although it was much different than it is now. A yearbook was just pictures taken and kept in a collection for others to gaze at. This was called ‘Warren Yearbook’ and can still be seen in The National Museum of History in Washington D.C. This type of yearbook changed in 1900 when the printing press was invented. It became an album which could be produced more and not one at a time like the picture collection. This was a large upgrade for the yearbook.

Between the years 1985 and 2008, computers were invented and became very popular very quickly, and it truly brought out yearbooks to the world. Things like desktop publishing, digital printing, and digital photography added amazing improvements to the yearbook that made it so much better than it was in the 1860’s. This also made it much easier for the schools to develop yearbook designs and add the improvements.

With so much technology that has come out since then, some might wonder why buying a yearbook would be better than just using a social media app. The truth is, a yearbook holds special memories, memories that you might not be able to find on social media. It is something to smile and laugh at and see how you have changed over time. Then again, social media has things that a yearbook does not. It can be more personalized and feature the events you want to remember, rather than ones that matter to the whole school. 8th grader Anugraha Bhatta was asked the question, “Do you think buying a yearbook is better than looking through social media?” He responded by saying, “You never know when photos will be deleted on social media but if you buy a copy of the yearbook you have it forever; they both have pros and cons, but I do think social media is better.”

You never know when photos will be deleted on social media but if you buy a copy of the yearbook you have it forever; they both have pros and cons, but I do think social media is better.”

Now the real question is, is buying a yearbook worth it? The truth is yearbooks are not the cheapest thing and this is mostly the reason people might not buy a yearbook from their school. People also pass by the question of why it is like this; the yearbook takes time and effort to be made. Not only that, but creating the yearbook all together and ordering them costs quite a bit of money too. Although the price is high, some of the money goes into funding the school, which can be put into dances and other events for UP students and their friends to enjoy and have fun at. Kelsey Bautista said, “We encourage people to buy it to see how hard their classmates worked all year for a book worth their while.”

Although a yearbook may seem like a just a couple of pages and pictures, it actually takes hard work and focus to plan and create. It is for sure not something that can be created overnight. It takes time to be planned out, and especially now that students are in distance learning, it might take even longer to get done. Can the yearbook committee finish the yearbook in time? 8th grader Serena In is a part of the yearbook staff and she replied with confidence, “Yes! Absolutely I know we can finish in time!”

Overall, the yearbook is an important part of high school and middle school. The yearbook committee tries their hardest to deliver a well put together book that we can cherish for years to come. Many are thankful for all the hard work that they have done. The yearbook has gone a long way through history, and still it will continue to improve.