Trump Rally in Minden, Nevada

This+is+a+picture+of+President+Donald+Trump+at+a+Keep+America+Great+rally+in+Phoenix%2C+Arizona.+It+was+at+the+Arizona+Veterans+Memorial+Coliseum+on+February+19%2C+2020.+This+rally+was+for+President+Trump%27s+Re-election+Campaign+for+the+2020+US+Presidential+Election.+

Gage Skidmore from Surprise, AZ, United States of America / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)

This is a picture of President Donald Trump at a Keep America Great rally in Phoenix, Arizona. It was at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum on February 19, 2020. This rally was for President Trump’s Re-election Campaign for the 2020 US Presidential Election.

Caitlynn Kelley, Journalist and Editor

On September 12, 2020, President Trump held a rally for his 2020 Re-election Campaign for President in Minden, Nevada. The rally was held at Minden Airport in Douglas County. Douglas County is noted to be a Republican stronghold. During his rally, he gave his take on many hot topics and criticized his opponent, Joe Biden. Around 5,000 people attended the rally in Minden. Like many of his recent rallies, people were not wearing masks, despite the social distancing guidelines in Nevada due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Sophomore Katherine Cardenas gives her opinion on lack of social distance guidelines in Trump’s rallies, “I feel as if he thinks that he is above those social distance guidelines. Since he is the President of the United States, it doesn’t mean that he should ignore those social distance guidelines even if it is for his presidential rally. If he were more responsible and really enforced the social distance guidelines to all the states and himself the curve will go down a little. By having his presidential rally not enforce the social distance guidelines it makes other people think that there are exceptions, in reality there shouldn’t be any exceptions at all.”

Senior Louie Cambalon concurs on how risky it is on how Trump rallies are being handled during the Pandemic, “I feel that the rallies are very risky due to the during status that America is in as of this moment in time” 

Freshman Madison Porter agrees that social distance rules should be in place during the rallies, “I feel that the campaigns can continue to happen, but there should be social distancing. Wearing masks should be mandatory and there should be monitoring of the rules and regulations that are being followed.”

In the Minden rally, President Trump brought up the usage of mail-in ballots, something that he has assailed as benefiting Democrats. 

The 2020 Election is approaching quickly. Election day is on November 3, 2020. President Trump has repeatedly criticized mail-in voting, and at this rally, it was no different. Previously, he has stated that mail-in voting increases the chances of voter fraud. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), states that voter fraud is very rare and that even if it does occur,  it is easy to trace down the culprit, due to the paper trail that mail-in voting leaves behind. Jared Kushner, Senior Advisor to the Trump Administration, advocated for in-person voting and used Dr. Fauci’s claim that in-person voting would be fine, if everyone adhered to social distancing guidelines. He has stated that mail-in ballots would be mailed to Democratic areas only, not Republican areas. However, Republicans have benefited from mail-in voting and many Republican officials believe that this election year will be a fair one. 

Cardenas believes that Americans should vote in person, instead of voting by mail this year, “In my opinion they should allow us to vote in person, with enforced social distance guidelines. Even if there is a low risk of voting fraud, it’s never 100% certain that it won’t happen. They should take the safe and responsible way and just vote in person. They shouldn’t risk that other percent just  because someone says that it’s rare and easy to solve if it does happen. They should always pick the solution that seems the safest.” 

Regarding mail-in voting, Cambalon says that mail-in voting should be done by mail,”By mail, because it’s easy to track if mail-in fraud occurs” 

Instead of mail-in voting, Porter thinks that voting in person should take place, “I think we should vote in person.”

The recent California wildfires were also brought up by President Trump in the Minden rally.

Wildfires have been blazing across California. One of the major wildfires in California is the Bobcat fire. The Bobcat fire has blazed through Los Angeles County, and is now in Antelope Valley. 2020 is going to be one of the hottest years recorded. Many scientists and California government officials have claimed that climate change is the primary reason why the wildfires in California have occurred. President Trump argued against scientists on this issue, in his rally, and stated that forest management is the main reason why the wildfires in California have been happening. Forest management is when fires are started on purpose to get rid of all of the dead trees, which are fuel for fires. 

Cardenas thinks that Trump’s refusal of the existence of climate change is influencing his answer, “We all know Trump refuses to believe that climate change is real. So it’s no coincidence that he blames other people or something else for the fires. Honestly most wildfires are started by bush fires due to the heat, and this past decade it has been getting hot. Heat is rising and the sea levels are rising, and he still refuses to accept the fact that it’s all being caused by climate change.” 

Concerning wildfires and climate change, Cambalon says, “I believe that climate change plays a factor in the wildfires, but not to the degree some people are talking about.” 

On climate change and wildfires, Porter states, “I do not believe climate change has caused the fires.”

During the Minden rally, President Trump used nicknames to attack his opponents, which is something that is known for him to do. 

President Trump poking fun at his rivals with different nicknames is what he has become known for on Twitter. He has previously called Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) Pocahontas, due to her false claims of having Native American heritage. In his rally in Minden, he reverted back to his usage of name calling, and called Biden, a “pathetic human being” and that he is being controlled by the radicals in the Democratic Party. Those in Trump’s base believe his nicknames to be humorous. However, psychologists and other professionals have labeled Trump’s nicknames for his opponents as Middle school bullies. 

Cardenas believes that Trump’s nicknames for his rivals are childish, “This tactic that he’s using is childish, it is absolutely not fit to have the president using this type of conduct. If he continues to show this childish tactic it just leads me to believe that I’ll have a child as a president. And that certainly does not please me as a citizen to know that the president is acting like a child. It would worry me, because if he’s acting this childish during his election, how is he going to act if he continues to be the president? 

Cambalon says that although Trump’s speech is protected under the 1st Amendment, it is still reprehensible, “Well, Trump is protected by the first amendment, but calling Biden a “pathetic human being” is nothing more but counterproductive and provides no solutions to the current problems that America is facing. The attitude that he carries doesn’t fit for a president.”

Porter gives her opinion on Trump calling his political rivals nicknames, “I feel that friendly competition and words are okay, just not anything physical or to the extreme.”

Trump’s rally in Miden was like many of his other rallies in the past, where he talked about current events happening in the US and verbally attacked his political opponents. However, one thing that stood out from this rally was that it was held during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Many Trump supporters didn’t follow social distance guidelines, and the rally was held even though Nevada prohibits groups of 50 or more people. Nevada officials believe that there will be a rise in coronavirus cases due to rallies that were held in Minden and Henderson.