Yearbook Supply Running Out Quickly!

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

Yearbooks are $80 and are in limited stock. To purchase a yearbook visit the link provided. https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productBrowse/1757627/University-Preparatory-School/2020-Yearbook/20190712042647367124/CATALOG_SHOP/

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

With only a few days of school left, it is only natural that we want to remember the fond memories we made back at school; whether it’s the days where we stressed about assignments or were excited about hanging out with friends at a school event, they all shaped us equally. 

Yearbooks are a great resource to look back at when you are feeling nostalgic about school. 

Senior Jeanine Martinez, as well as the Editor-in-Chief of the yearbook staff, strongly believes that all students should get a yearbook because it is a great way of looking back at not only all of one’s own memories, but others’ experiences as well. She added, “All students should get a yearbook because it’s not just a book with some pictures; it’s created by students with real memories and stories that should be something cherished as the years go by.

All students should get a yearbook because it’s not just a book with some pictures; it’s created by students with real memories and stories that should be something cherished as the years go by.”

— Jeanine Martinez

Yearbooks are generally created by the many students and staff members at schools and much time and effort goes into each and every page of the book. So with the sudden quarantine that was put in place with only two more months of school left, one would expect the yearbook staff to be in a state of panic but that was not the case. Martinez stated that the yearbook staff handled the news of the rest of the school events being cancelled very well and that she is very happy with how the yearbook came out. 

Luckily for the yearbook staff, they got the events they had planned to appear in the book just in time. “The good news for the yearbook was that the events cancelled were ones that wouldn’t have been in the book anyways.”

For Jeanine Martinez, this year’s yearbook is an important one and there is a lot in the book that she wishes people would notice. “From the perspective of a yearbook staff member, there is so much in this year’s yearbook that I really want people to see. It’s important to bring yourself up during these difficult times. Personally, I know that keeping my mind focused on all the great things I did this year, [like] creating the yearbook… is so important to me [so] I know that it wasn’t a waste of a year.” 

Yearbook’s co-Editor-in-Chief junior Izabel Vazquez believes that the newest yearbook is especially important because it can help people remember the other events that happened before distance learning took place. “The yearbook is very important this year because the distance learning has made people forget about everything else that happened this year and we still captured it all so then it won’t be forgotten.  Overall, students should expect a book that captured the excitement of the year and it will remind them that not everything was ruined due to COVID-19.”

Overall, students should expect a book that captured the excitement of the year and it will remind them that not everything was ruined due to COVID-19.”

— Izabel Vazquez

According to Mrs. Petruschin, the yearbook advisor, there are only approximately 62 yearbooks left. The yearbooks are eighty dollars and will be distributed to students on campus in a drive-thru manner. Mrs. Petruschin says that there is not an official date for the distribution because there have been some unexpected events due to the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Unfortunately, we don’t have an exact date for that distribution yet,” she stated. “When the state went on quarantine, the California plant in Visalia was forced to shut down and Jostens had to move all of their yearbook production to their plant in Clarksville, TN. This caused a backlog of yearbooks when the Clarksville plant was later forced to enact social distancing regulations and reduce the number of staff on hand.”

“Books are currently running 1-2 weeks behind schedule. I anticipate we will see our books sometime next week, but I cannot guarantee anything until I am told that they have been shipped out. Once they are shipped, it will be 4-5 days in transit.”  

Additionally, if you want your friends to sign your yearbook, there is still a way thanks to Jostens’ online yearbook signing. Students will need to register for customized digital signing pages and will have a URL to share with friends then once the pages are signed they will be emailed to the recipient and can be printed out and placed in the book. 

If you want to get your hands on a yearbook to reminisce about fun memories and events, be sure to hurry and buy one at the Jostens website.