Over Before it Began

Seniors+Gustavo+Meza+%28left%29+and+Alex+Yuen+%28right%29+enjoying+the+warm+spring+sun+with+their+fellow+teammates+

Jeanine Martinez

Seniors Gustavo Meza (left) and Alex Yuen (right) enjoying the warm spring sun with their fellow teammates

Shiloh Emanuel, Journalist

On Friday, April 3, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) had to make the decision to cancel all spring sports for the 2020 season. Executive Director Ron Nocetti  said in a statement, “Based on the recent statements issued by Governor [Gavin] Newsom and State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond, regarding schools turning to distance learning for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) does not see an avenue for the spring sports season to continue.” He went on to say that 10 section commissioners had come together on that day and ruled that all spring sporting events were to be cancelled until further notice. 

This affects spring athletes all over the high desert, but none more than the baseball players at University Preparatory whose season ended before it ever began. The baseball team was coming in with very high expectations after coming off of a very impressive 10-2 record in the previous 18-19 season. 

When asked about the team’s expectations for the season, senior Jasiah Martinez answered by saying, “This season was supposed to be our best season, we all had so much excitement built up for this season and it all got snatched away from us.” Sophomore Alexis Martin had even higher hopes for the season saying that he “expected to get a banner” by winning the conference championship. 

While winning the championship was a common goal for all players on the team, there were also additional motives for some players. For the seniors, this season was meant to be their “last hoorah.” Senior Alex Yuen says his focus was more on making memories and enjoying the moments of his last year sharing, “for me, this season was a big part of senior year, more of a last season to play before going to college.” 

With the majority of the team being seniors, all of the younger players wanted to make this season special for them knowing that this will be the last time that they will get to play together. “I feel sad because I got really close to all the seniors and I can’t even share this last season with them before they move on to college,” said deflated sophomore, Thomas Fite. He continued on to say, “This whole corona thing sucks, I’m just gonna really miss the guys on this team. It’s really unfortunate and unfair to them.” 

On the topic of the seniors, Alexis Martin shared, “they played a huge role on the team, they were great role models on and off the field and were always a huge impact in the game. It sucks how it ended for them.”

Although this situation is very unfortunate for everyone on the team, even in adversity, the Jags still are finding ways to get through it. Senior Cecil Foster said, given the situation, “I was hurt at first, but I’m getting over it and moving on from it because now I have my whole life ahead of me.” Jasiah Martinez also has a similar outlook by focusing on what’s next in his baseball career saying, “I just accepted the fact that the season is over. I’ve been working out and practicing to get ready for next year in college.” 

The pandemic is resulting in hardships for many, but the baseball team is working to stay positive, which is advice that anyone could keep in mind.