School Board Meeting and Other Events Cancelled Amidst COVID-19 Fears

Stock photo of COVID-19 courtesy of www.cdc.gov.

UPDATED 16 MARCH [email protected] 4:00 PM: Today, in a precautionary measure, VVUHSD elected to cancel this Thursday’s School Board Meeting. While the meeting will be rescheduled, no date has been established, as of yet. The official statement may be found here: vvuhsd.org

This comes on the heels of President Trump’s address to the nation earlier today in which he advised that gatherings of more than 10 people be suspended until further notice.  While the nation is advised to practice social distancing until summer, the online social media reports of a nationwide quarantine have been waved away as disinformation potentially disseminated by foreign entities hoping to cause pandemonium within the country.

Attempting to get ahead of the mandates, Collegeboard also cancelled its May 2, 2020, SAT administration, and is looking at ways to administer AP exams at home should it come to that. Read more about the measures Collegeboard is taking to keep students and teachers safe here: Collegeboard COVID-19 Cancellations

With only a single case of the coronavirus in San Bernardino county thus far, students seem more concerned with the possibility of events being cancelled than quarantine restrictions. Airing the fears of many of her classmates, senior Osiris DeLeon stated, “I’m going to be really sad if our senior activities get cancelled, because I was actually looking forward to having fun this last year with my friends and attending our senior events.”

While no events have been cancelled as of yet, parents, students, and staff alike sit at home and await any announcement.

Shortly after publication, an all-call went out stating all sporting events and other school events previously scheduled through 30 March 2020 have been cancelled. School meals will still be available for pickup through 20 March 2020, at all campuses except Goodwill. A student with a VVUHSD ID is required, although all students may receive a lunch.

For breaking news within the district, subscribe to Listenupjags.org by downloading the  Student News Source App in either the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store for free and choosing to receive push notifications from University Preparatory School.