Feeling the Drive in Your Veins

UP Students face challenges while donating blood

Daniella Carrasco

Junior Jonathan Medina lays down, feeling woozy after having finished donating blood.

Daniella Carrasco, Journalist

Thursday March 5th marked the date of the second bi-annual blood drive held by both ASB and Red Cross. The blood drive was an absolute success with multiple students having volunteered to donate and answer the questionnaire they were required to fill out. However, not all of the students got to donate and leave the room without any negative side effects, and in fact, some of the students weren’t able to donate at all. 

Daniella Carrasco
Sophomore Jake Prado has wrapped iced placed on his forehead after having experienced waves of nausea while having his iron levels checked by a nurse.

Sophomore Jake Prado was all set and laying on the bed awaiting for the nurses to check his veins, until one of the male nurses pricked his finger in order to check his iron levels. “All I remember is him pricking my finger and watching the blood be brought out in a spooning sort of way, and he squeezed my finger in order to get more blood. I didn’t even notice I wasn’t feeling right until he asked me, and the next thing I knew, I felt extreme nausea. Right after he held a bucket in front of me and I threw up.”

Daniella Carrasco
Senior Leander Ascencio keeps himself busy from the cold feeling as he gets a plasma transfer done on him.

Prado wasn’t the only one to fall ill during the drive, Junior Lauryn Tess had actually finished giving blood when she started to feel off. She was told to lay down after the donation, but when she sat up, she immediately grew pale. “So I was actually sitting up, on my phone and I started feeling lightheaded but I told myself it would go away. Next thing I know, two nurses are putting napkins with ice on me telling me I had fallen unconscious.” Even after Tess had experienced unconsciousness, she commented, “I still think it was worth giving blood, even if I did pass out. I know that my blood can hopefully help save some people.” 

Many students seemed to have had a hard experience after donating blood, but many of them say, it didn’t bother them because they were lucky to have donated to begin with, unlike others.

Fellow journalist Yesenia Garcia describes her experience donating, stating, “My experience was overall good. Many of the ASB members were very helpful and stuck by me, the Red Cross employers were also very kind. I did feel a bit dizzy and lightheaded but after drinking and eating again, I felt better.”

Junior Xoshil Alas Felipe was denied from being allowed to donate. “As strange as this sounds, it’s pretty upsetting knowing you can’t donate. I went through all of the questions and I qualified for everything but once the nurse asked me to lift up my sleeves, I was told I wouldn’t be able to.” 

Felipe has been dealing with eczema for most of her life and due to a recent eczema outbreak she experienced, the nurse told her that donating could potentially harm her skin. The ointment they use in order to clean the area in which the needle is inserted, could interfere with her eczema and cause her harm, something they definitely wanted to avoid.

Daniella Carrasco
Junior Joseph Algandar Garcia laughs at the camera as he gets caught goofing around on the bed.

Although students had fallen ill and others had been denied, many other students enjoyed the experience and felt happy to be able to participate in such a wholesome and charitable event. Even the first timers, although they experienced jitters and nerves, thought the experience was a good time.

Daniella Carrasco
First time donor, senior Lauren Lee, talks to the ASB students after having finished donating blood and says, “I felt pretty good, even if it was my first time, and I liked the Oreos I had after.”

Senior Lauren Lee explains her experience as a first time donor, “I was really nervous, but also extremely happy because I’d been rejected twice before and I was finally able to donate!” So although some participants had different experiences, many of them enjoyed the blood drive and agreed it was a success.