Ernesto Zuniga: Future Medical Doctor

Junior Ernesto Zuniga exits his sixth period, heading towards the lunch line in order to eat before he heads off to his CTE classes.¨I wear my scrubs on Tuesdays when I have classes, I find it nice.

Daniella Carrasco

Junior Ernesto Zuniga exits his sixth period, heading towards the lunch line in order to eat before he heads off to his CTE classes.¨I wear my scrubs on Tuesdays when I have classes, I find it nice." Behind Zuniga is junior Victoria Couillard, holding the hand of junior classmate Savannah Martinez, rushing to step out of the shot.

Daniella Carrasco, Journalist

The medical field: a field that requires hard work and true devotion in order to push through the many years of study and obstacles one can encounter. Many medical students tend to give up and fall in on their knees with the obstacles they face; well, Ernesto Zuniga isn’t one of those students. 

Ernesto Zuniga, an outgoing and loved junior in the class of 2021, aspires to be a well respected surgeon. Starting as a young and innocent boy, Zuniga always enjoyed the idea of being a doctor. From youthful dreams of becoming a doctor, to a passionate and determined high school student, ready to follow the medical path. Soon enough, without having even expected it, an opportunity was presented to him. In his first year of high school, ninth grader Zuniga soon became the first Freshman in the CTE (Career and Technical Education) classes offered at Victor Valley High.  He can still recall the emotions and thoughts running in his head, “I remember feeling excited and nervous at the same time. I would think, what if I didn’t have the capacity to work with the patients? What if I accidentally messed up or hurt them? Then the opportunity would be gone as soon as it came.” 

The fear of hurting his patients or not having the experience to fully help them came from his wish to be able to help those who need medical assistance, in any situation. His desire and passion to pursue the medical field didn’t come from thin air, however. “The thing that really sparked my love for it was when I lost my grandpa in second grade. I remember asking what had happened and I later found out he hadn’t gotten the medical assistance needed, because Mexico didn’t provide it. Not only that, but in seventh grade I also lost my grandma, and it was the same thing. The lack of medical assistance or medical solutions had caused my grandma to pass.” Through the pain and grievance of loved ones, Zuniga found his inspiration and devotion for this dream of his. 

He’s now persistent and in the workings of building up his medical training by joining the CTE classes. “I find those classes important to me due to the fact that it’s one of the only classes that we get offered to expose us to a work force in which we get to interact with many people in the community. I also find it important because it’s a class that University Prep doesn’t physically offer on campus; it’s provided by another campus therefore making it more valuable because it’s a limited opportunity and people should take advantage of it.” 

Now having been in the classes for over three years, he’s gained enough experience to have earned his position as an aide alongside his teacher, teaching the students and becoming one of the top students in his class. Not only is he gaining current knowledge, but he says he’s grateful for these classes. “Thanks to those courses, I now have two certificates and currently working on another in which I can count on to work later on if needed.” An aspiring surgeon dedicated to having a head start in his career, originally an unknown voice in a crowd of students, has stood out by telling his story.