Balancing School and Health

Balancing School and Health

Balancing school and personal health is one of the most important lessons that students can learn. Meditation is one of the coping mechanisms to balancing and managing stress levels.

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

High school is quite a different experience for each individual student. With the stresses of homework, classwork, projects, tests, quizzes, and grades constantly clashing with the stress of everyday life, students are constantly struggling to find a balance. Many students don’t know how to find the fine line between personal health and school work. Finding this line is far more important and vital than students may realize.

High school has a way of assigning so much work that any activities planned outside of school are constantly being canceled or rescheduled. While students can not control how much work they receive on a daily basis, they can start by managing their time. Yes, this sounds incredibly boring, but time management is one of the most useful tactics to learn. By planning, prioritizing and setting goals, students can find ways to make time for the activities they love most.

While stress for many students is normal and constant, being overly stressed is very bad for student health. Freshman Caitlin Stark, who knows stress all too well, expressed the effects that stress has on her, “I’ve developed a lot of anxiety and depression due to the pressure I feel from school. The stress I experience has caused me to stutter a lot and I fear presentations and public speaking.” Stress in high school is inevitable and unavoidable, but students may also learn how to manage and control their stress. Students may know that stress is a very common emotion but what they may not know is how to recognize when stress reaches an unhealthy level. Signs that express stress overload are anxiety or panic attacks, irritability, moodiness, physical pain, allergies, sleep problems, and sadness or depression. So while stress may be normal, too much of it leads to emotional and physical health problems.

So how can students relieve stress? Exercise is one of the most effective ways. Regular exercise can help keep stress under control and improves overall health. Daily meditation is also an effective way, because it teaches people how to clear their mind and maintain control over their emotions and breathing. Exposure to the sun, laughing, practicing positive mindsets, talking to loved ones, and acknowledging the stress are also great ways to reduce stress levels. “I do aromatherapy everyday at least once,” Senior Katrina Gilbert states. “I tried doing other things that were therapeutic, such as writing, reading and art but it ends up channeling my negative emotions into that and ends up making me feel worse.” Every student reacts differently to ways of relaxation, so students may need to experiment to see what’s right for them.

Students are constantly being pressured to be perfect or to become perfectionists, especially students in a high-pressure academic schools. Contrary to what people think, however, being a perfectionist has many negative side effects, such as low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, and destructive habits. So while these schools and families push for perfection, it is not a healthy path to take. Instead, students may set achievable standards, enjoy the process and outcome alike, and receive mistakes as a learning experience.

So yes, high school is incredibly stressful. But students don’t have to sacrifice their personal lives in order to keep up their grades and education. With just a little bit of assistance, students can begin to manage their school life while also enjoying the activities they know and love. While school work may be important, physical and mental health has priority over how students perform in school and their futures.