The Student News Site of University Preparatory School

Samanta Castillo: An Experience With Immigration

January 23, 2020

Senior Samanta Castillo has overcome many obstacles to get to where she is today. She is ready to take on whatever new experiences come her way.

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

High school to many is incredibly stressful and hectic without any additional surprises. For most students, there is a line between the stresses of home and the stresses of school. However, for some students like Senior Samanta Castillo, this line becomes blurred with the extra effort she has to put in: being an immigrant.

While some immigrant students feel like everything that has happened was effortless, Castillo found the changes of entering a foreign country incredibly challenging. “Some of the obstacles I have encountered are learning English as my second language. I only knew Spanish for a long time.” Going through school with language barriers proved to be very difficult, but Samanta is quite proud of herself and her family for surviving and adapting to a new country.

Besides the daily struggles of getting used to the new culture and having to take multiple English classes to help her adapt, Castillo also found it extremely difficult to make new friends. Castillo was quite shy when she started school in the U.S., and because she was born in Mexico, she has an accent that some people found hard to understand. She found it difficult to present in some of her classes because a lot of students and even some teachers couldn’t quite understand her accent, making her self-conscious about her voice.

At this point in the school year, seniors are eagerly waiting for college acceptance letters and scholarships. For Samanta, her immigration status makes applying for college and scholarships surprisingly difficult. She has received some assistance on applying for scholarships she is eligible for, but it still isn’t easy because many scholarships require students to be a U.S. citizen. While applying for college is not as difficult, receiving financial aid has proved to be rare for her and her family because certain aids require citizenship. While these obstacles may be unfortunate, it definitely does not stop her from trying her best.

While high school has many stresses that can often clash with everyday lives, students like Samanta Castillo work incredibly hard to overcome both. While immigrant students are often overlooked, the efforts they put into life is absolutely phenomenal.