Martin Luther King Jr- Is His Legacy Still Living on Today?

Rowland Scherman [CC0]

The Civil Rights movement took place in the 60's in order to change laws and make people of all races equal. Martin Luther King day will be on January 20, 2022 where we honor him for being one of the most influential leaders of the Civil Rights movement and made change in our laws.

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

As we know, times have changed. It’s been 66 years since the Civil Rights movement happened and after 1968 racial discrimination, disenfranchisement, and segregation and instead became illegal due to the help of Martin Luther King Jr., one of the most visible leaders of the Civil Rights movement. 

Martin Luther King Jr.’s. most well-known contribution to the persuasion of eradicating racism was his “I Have a Dream” speech. He said this speech on August 23 of 1963 and in his speech he expressed the need to change civil rights and end racism by saying this, one of his well-known quotes from his speech, “I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.”

Racism has been wished to be long gone, but over the years it has slowly been resurfacing again. With the use of the internet, many people have used social media platforms to put out racist and hateful comments, not only about black people but all kinds of people of color.

And so many people question if Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy is living on.

“He (Martin Luther King Jr.) impacted the world so much that we are still affected by what he did. Racism had gone down even if we think it hasn’t just because we hear about it more on social media and the news.” Freshman Jorge Gutierrez believes that Martin Luther’s legacy is still living on, and believes that we may think it hasn’t it’s because once an event happens it is spread everywhere with the use of social media. “Segregation is no longer a thing. If you look at  friend groups their multiple races, people don’t care about what color you are as long as you’re a cool person.” 

“I think Martin Luther King’s legacy still lives on today, however, I also think it’s sad that we haven’t made more progress since the civil rights movement had first erupted and that I think that if he was still alive today he would be continuing to fight the fights he was fighting back into the 60’s, which is unfortunate that we keep having to cope against these walls but again we’re starting to recognize racism as something systemic and endemic of American culture and American society, we can branch this off into a patriarchy, we can branch this off to imperialism, we can branch this off into several dimensions where black and brown bodies have been used and abusive. It’s normalized for black and brown bodies  to be brutalized and that is something that shouldn’t be happening and shouldn’t have happened.” Strings teacher Mr. O’rane believes that Martin Luther King’s legacy still lives on today, but believes that more progress can be made and is disappointed that racism still hasn’t perished.

In recent years there have been many cases of police brutality against people of color mainly, African-Americans which caused for the Black Lives Matter movement to be made in 2013 when the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter started trending on social media after police officer George Zimmerman shot and killed unarmed seventeen year-old Trayvon Martin near his home while he was visiting his relatives. Zimmerman was found not guilty for the crime which caused an uproar on social media. Martin Luther King’s birthday is right around the corner and it’s time that we honor him for taking a big step for people of color in the United States and even though it might be tough we must continue chasing his dream in eradicating racism.