Closing the Gap

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

#21 Marlene Moralia, #14 Nathalie Gonzalez, #22 Minreet Soliman, # 14 Victoria Phillips, and # 24 Alexis Berg are all attentive and wait for any passes their teammates might make.

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

On December 17, the Lady Jags basketball team went up against the Big Bear Bears. The start of the game played out smoothly for the first few minutes of the game as no points were being made, until the first point after a few minutes was scored for University Prep. 

For the first half, it was an easy game for the University Prep Lady Jags, widening the gap. The Lady Jags’ teamwork was in check as they passed the ball to one another and helped each other make baskets. From time to time, the Bears would make baskets, trying their best to close the gap between them and the Lady Jags. It was a good first half of the game for the Lady Jags with the score of 17-8, a nine point gap. 

During halftime, both teams would huddle up and talk about their game strategy and once the time was up for the team to go back on the court, the atmosphere changed and things were getting very competitive.

The halftime break changed the Bears playing strategy and they slowly started to catch up to the Lady Jags, closing in with a score of 17-14. 

The Lady Jags’ team were falling behind and some were getting frustrated and stressed as they tried to catch up. The Lady Jags were trying their best and closed in the gap, having a tie of 20-20.

Many audience members in the crowd were satisfied with the Lady Jag’s comeback.

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz
#15 Dejaneira Valenzuela rushes across the court as the ball is being passed back and forth.

During the last quarter of the game, the point gap started widening once again as the Bears were closing in on the Lady Jags. They gave it their all as they tried to win but unfortunately the game ended with the Big Bear Bears winning with the score of 26-36. 

Sophomore Emma Aquino thought that it wasn’t their best game and thought they should’ve improved on some things, “We definitely need to work on our passes and making baskets.”

Audience member sophomore Ashely Fuentes thought that the Lady Jags played a good game. “I think our girls played good but the refs were calling bad plays, I guess, but overall they worked well as a team, and did the best they could.”

Principal Ms. Hatcher was in the crowd watching as well and thought it was a very competitive game and thinks that the Lady Jags will have a great future, “I think it was a competitive game; I think they’re going to have a great season and there are just a few technical things they can work on.”  

The Lady Jags’ teamwork was undeniably incredible and hopefully they will be able to work hard in their next game on Friday against AAE.