Daniella Rodriguez

A lovely ornament lit by a warm-colored Christmas light. There is nothing better than decorating a Christmas tree with your favorite Christmas song playing in the background. Sophomore Songaya Daniels explains it as, "Christmas warmth and happiness."

Christmas Music: Does the New Music Give Off the Same Vibe as the Traditional?

Christmas music is a key part of the beloved holiday that takes place on December 25th every year. For some people, Christmas music is something to listen to all throughout the year. However, people tend to have preferences to what type of Christmas they like to listen to.

Traditional Christmas music includes Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and many others. These tend to be sung by artists from the 50’s decade like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and Judy Garland. Some people also consider Mariah Carrey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” to be part of this traditional category. These songs display a sort of warm and ‘home-y’ feeling to them. It definitely reminds people of a happy family Christmas. 

New Christmas music tends to remind people of a store during the holiday season. At least that’s what Sophomore Songaya Gooden-Daniels said. Artists like Mariah Carrey, Destiny’s Child, Justin Bieber, and Michael Bublé are commonly the ones singing these new, upbeat Christmas songs. The majority of these songs add modern tweaks to the older traditional songs, but there are also some that are a completely new festive song. Mariah Carrey’s not exactly brand new song “All I Want For Christmas Is You” is widely popular amongst all UP students. Clarissa Duardo considered Mariah Carrey’s song to be part of the traditional category. “I like traditional songs like ‘Jingle Bells’ and ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’.”

Freshman Clarissa Duardo expresses her love for the traditional side of Christmas music. “I like the traditional better.” Duardo also mentioned who her favorite artist was along with her favorite song. “I was just listening to it, its ‘Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas’ by Frank Sinatra.”

Though Gooden-Daniels also prefers the traditional Christmas music, she does enjoy listening to Michael Bublé on the occasion. On the topic of choosing between Michael Bublé’s version of the traditional Christmas songs or the original one themselves, Gooden-Daniels claims she enjoys them equally. However she would still go with the traditional music. “I think I like them equally, but if i had to choose I’d say the original. While I love Michael Bublé’s version and the twist he puts on the song and the vocals, the original just has that Christmas-y feel. That warmth and happiness. That is just not the same with Michael Bublé’s. That’s not to say his [songs] don’t provide that happiness, but originals just give a stronger feeling of that.” Gooden-Daniels’ favorite Michael Bublé songs are “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas” and “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”.

The new Christmas songs raise holiday spirit, but just not in the way that the traditional does. Though some people do enjoy the new Christmas music, they will always enjoy and appreciate the traditional style more.

Listen UP • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in