The Decade Comes to an End

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

Students around the UP campus recall childhood memories because with only a few days left of 2019, the decade is coming to a close.

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

New Year’s Day is just around the corner; with just less than a month left of 2019, the year 2020 is coming close and about to begin. Not only is a new year is about to begin, but a new decade as well. With the new decade coming, many new memories and trends will happen. 

The 10’s were filled with many childhood memories for the students here at University Preparatory. Many trends have come and gone, others have stayed and some trends have come back. However, there are memories and trends that we hold close to our hearts.

Memories of rubber bands that took shape of characters, animals and other things. Old childhood TV shows like Jessie, ICarly and many more. There are many memories of Justin Bieber and One Direction playing on stereos. 

Students across the University Preparatory campus recalled their most favorite memories from the 10’s.

For freshman Aida Ampie-Ramriez, she remembered the time that she would collect small animal figurines. “I would play with Littlest Pet Shop. I still have them.” She also had shaped rubber bands and light-up Twinkle Toes. 

Senior Angela Gurrteriz commented her opinion on the overall trends of the 10’s: “There were a lot of ugly trends, but the shuffling phase was good.”

Junior Victoria Couillard reminisced about her childhood, saying, “My favorite memories are of me and Vrianna [her little sister] taking swimming classes during the summer; after that, we would go home with friends and sing songs like ‘Call Me Maybe’ by Carly Rae Jepsen. We would also go to this community playhouse on Fridays and would dance our hearts out! They would play songs like ‘Watch You Burn,’ Rihanna [‘Love The Way You Lie’ by Eminem, ft. Rihanna], Lady Gaga, and ‘Somebody That I Used to Know’ by Gotye.” 

Sadly, the 10’s have gone by in a flash and now we must look ahead and make the best of the new decade, the 20’s.