Why Was it so Hard to Get a Job in 2019?

Photo Illustration of a high school student filling out a job application. Finding a job in 2019 has been hard for many high school students due to their lack of work experience and non-flexible schedules.

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan

Emily Dugan, Journalist

As the next generation of kids are getting ready to become adults, things that never seemed to be an issue with the last generation appears to be one of the most difficult problems to get around today. Applying for jobs used to be extremely easy and simple, but now, it seems that qualifying for a job is a rare occasion for the younger generations.

Going back in time about 20 years, applying and qualifying for jobs was a lot less worrisome and stressful. Qualifications back then usually only required your application to have your age and some other personal details. One of the main rules was to dress two levels up from the job you want. As time went on, it was a little bit more difficult to find a job but with newspapers, they were still available to the public and because of the need for workers, the qualifications were still fairly easy to meet. Senior Transition teacher Mrs. Zimmerman offered some insights on how it was for her to get a job. “I had a job in the last semester of my senior year. It wasn’t too difficult to get the job; I was hired by the third or fourth person that was looking.”

Coming back to the present day, 2019 seemed to cause a lot of grief when looking for a job. Most entry level jobs give people with work experience priority, making it difficult for students and young adults to receive an interview. Junior Raylee Lewis has applied to 10 jobs in the past year and has only received one interview. “I wouldn’t particularly count the interview because it was an open interview and the hiring manager asked two non-job related questions. I work as a dog walker and it was hard getting this job because of background checks and building up trust.” Raylee found it extremely difficult for an employer to give her an interview. Priority usually goes to people with resumes, work experience, and more inclusive schedules. Most students have limited free time, less flexible schedules, little to no work experience, and may not be very well educated in how a resume should be made. 

So why is it so hard to find a job today? What can the younger generations do to make it easier? Since influencing and changing the way jobs hire is most likely not going to happen, students can start by learning how to create a resume. Creating a resume gives hiring workplaces something to find keywords in. Resumes don’t need to include prior work experience; they can include useful skills and extracurriculars instead. Students can also participate in activities like volunteer work to get the attention of hiring employers. Mrs. Zimmerman also gave some advice on getting a job: “Students need to do more than just apply online. After they have applied, they need to go into the place they want to work and introduce themselves to the manager. They should dress and speak professionally when they do this. Make sure to follow up and go back into the store about a week later.” 

While looking for jobs may be increasingly more difficult as time goes on, there are steps that students and young adults can take in order to have a better chance in receiving an interview and being hired for the job. With the right skills, finding jobs can be much easier than people expect.