Melting Pot of Culture

Thanksgiving Cultures and Foods

Melting Pot of Culture

Thanksgiving this year is on November 28. In the U.S. Thanksgiving is always celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November.

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and that includes many traditions as well, which typically include traditional foods like a stuffed turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and gravy. And to end off the feast, it usually ends with a pumpkin pie or different pie flavors such as pecan, apple, and sweet potato. 

Not only does the United States celebrate Thanksgiving but many countries do as well. It might not be on the same days, though. Countries like Canada, Germany, South Korea, China, Grenada and Liberia all have their own Thanksgiving.  

Canada’s Thanksgiving traditions are very similar to the United States’ food traditions; they eat foods like stuffed turkey, potatoes, pumpkin pie and more. The only thing that is different is that in Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October. Across the globe, South Korea has their own version of Thanksgiving, Chuseok, a big harvest festival, and it takes place on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Lunar calendar. In South Korea, what is typically eaten on Chuseok is songpyeon, a rice cake in the shape of a half moon stuffed with pine nuts, chestnuts, or sweet sesame seeds. 

Whether you live in the US, South Korea, Germany, or anywhere in the world, everyone has their own take on how they celebrate holidays or what they eat on holidays. 

8th grader Gerladine Castro said, “My family typically eats ham, mashed potatoes, and mac n’ cheese.” She also added that every year her family gives thanks to those who are in their lives. 

Freshman Isabel Peña said her family does the typical turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and biscuits, but sometimes they will switch it up. “Sometimes we will have tamales, spaghetti and oven baked yams.” 

Sophomore Esmeralda Gutierrez said that her family will usually hold a big potluck where members of her family will come over to bring food so there’s a wide variety to choose from. She mentioned that her family members will bring tamales and other hispanic dishes and her mother brings a ham that is covered in cranberry sauce. 

There are so many different foods and traditions for the beloved holiday Thanksgiving. Whether you have turkey or spaghetti, Thanksgiving is a holiday that brings people and different types of food together to enjoy.