President Trump Announces Ceasefire in Syria

On+October+23%2C+President+Trump+announced+a+permanent+ceasefire+for+US+troops+to+return%2C+only+around+100+troops+will+remain.++

On October 23, President Trump announced a permanent ceasefire for US troops to return, only around 100 troops will remain.

by Sgt. Arjenis Nunez [Public domain], https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Us_troops_in_syria.jpg

Shanelle Diaz-Cruz, Journalist

Times are tough currently for the people of Syria and for those who love the country. Situations have gotten more difficult for those who are seeking asylum in Syria. Many Syrians who are living in the country and those who have loved ones in Syria are distraught with what is going on. The ongoing war first started on March 15, 2011. Some Syrians have been able to seek asylum in other countries but for many others they were left behind in the struggling country. 

Many people still worry for their loved ones that were left behind or family they have never even met due to the war. Twins Sara and Susie Mahho are very worried about the loved ones they have in the country. “I have cousins and relatives that I’ve never met  in my life, and the only way I can see them is through phone calls or pictures. I wish something horrible didn’t happen in Syria, because it’s one of the most beautiful countries I’ve ever seen.” Sophomore Susie Mahho is very sad at the fact that she can’t physically interact with family she has never even seen in person. “The last time I went to Syria was almost 11 years ago, and it’s been so long that I haven’t even met some of my cousins that live there. I wish that I could see that and very soon I could go see them in Syria.”

Susie’s twin sister, Sara Mahho, recalls the last time she visited Syria and is upset that there are family she hasn’t seen and wishes that she can see them in Syria. The Mahho twins both wish that they can go back to visit Syria when it’s peaceful soon. Sara commented, “I could choose to go now, but I would be taking a very dangerous risk since many things could go wrong.”

Senior Nour Rajha was worried about the war and about her family there when it first started, but now she can rest a bit easy since it’s not directly affecting her family. “When the war first started, I was worried all the time about my family who lives there. But now since I know the war is not directly affecting my family, I am not thinking about it 24/7”. Even so, she still worries for those who are still stuck in the middle of the war. “So many people (soldiers and civilians) are being hurt or killed, so many children have been orphaned, terrible diseases are being spread that were in control before the war, and inflation has gone up like crazy. It is very hard to not worry about the people who are suffering there.” 

There are still many little things that are going on inside the war that some people worry about. In the middle of October, President Trump and his administration were going back and forth on deciding whether or not to withdraw troops that the US has in Syria. Then, early Wednesday morning on October 23, President Trump announced the permanent ceasefire at the White House. A small amount of U.S. troops will remain in Syria to protect the oil that the U.S. has obtained. After this, Turkey, Syria, and the United States are hoping to reach a peaceful approach to the situation. The countries are hoping to achieve a 20 mile wide safe zone in the northeast border region because over the years, many people have been killed in this region and now that there is no conflict, they are hoping to achieve peace using this method. 

When asked about how she felt about the situation, Nour Rajha said, “Well, I’m not too much of a political person but I know that the people in Syria don’t want the American troops there. I think if the American troops do, in fact, withdraw the war, it might reach an end.” Nour Rajha said, “All my information is from the Syrian perspective.”