The Reason for the March

How the Students Participating in the Veterans Day Parade Feel Even if it's Mandatory

The Reason for the March

Sophomore Ashley Canizalez and Freshman Savannah Paxia proudly march along in front of Wind Ensemble in the Veterans Day Parade on November 11th, 2019.

Madison McGinty

Madison McGinty

Madison McGinty

As the sun rose on November 11th, 2019 various community organizations from San Bernardino County got together to commemorate some of the bravest individuals in our nation: soldiers and veterans. The Veterans Day Parade is an annual event held for those in the Victorville area to recognize the sacrifice made by the courageous men and women who’ve took it upon themselves to preserve the deep rooted nationalistic ideals of freedom held by the vast American population.

Jesus Martinez, 11, Steven Dahi, 11, and Mitchell Ferris, 10, stride forward in unison while playing the clarinet during the Veterans Day Parade.

From biker gangs to pee-wee cheerleaders performing, it’s evident that there is a true spirit when it comes to respecting and remembering our soldiers.

University Preparatory’s Color Guard, Wind Ensemble, and Cadet Corps have been practicing time and time again since the start of the semester. The Veterans Day and Christmas Parade are the highlighted events of the first school semester, so it’s vital that these routines and songs are rehearsed until run-throughs are virtually flawless. But being in these groups isn’t just for everyone though, as it requires a high level of skill and dedication to be admitted into either.

Color Guard, Wind Ensemble, and Cadet Corps consider the parades as a mandatory event to perform at for each member. But if this is the case, is the meaning of the parade actually important to the students performing? According to senior percussionist, Dave Boado, “I think it’s important because it shows that we honor the things they have done for us, like playing the anthem,” and brings it close to home by adding, “I feel like it’s important on a personal level because my grandpa served and my sister is currently, so I feel like we should honor the fact that they protect our rights.” When asked the same question to a member in Color Guard, sophomore Ashley Canizalez commented, “I do feel like it’s important for flag and band to commemorate our veterans because we should honor those who have served in the war and recognize their hard work, sacrifices they’ve made, and how they have devoted their lives to serve our country.”

In the end, the hard work and talent really shined through at the parade, as the audience clapped and cheered on the students marching. The bright smiles on Color Guard, the rich, melodic sounds of Wind Ensemble, and the patriotic spirit of Cadet Corps truly represented the respectful nature held for our country’s current and former military branches.