Mural, Mural on the Stall

Mural, Mural on the Stall

Senior Marissa McGillick quickly touches up the base paint before getting started on her main painting.

Kayla Ferrer

Kayla Ferrer

Kayla Ferrer

Mural mural on the stall, who’s the fairest of them all?

Throughout the month of October, Mrs. Faison and twelve JaguArts senior girls have partaken in painting the girls restroom stalls for senior hours.

Adorned with a beautiful matte mauve, the stalls have completely transformed from the dull color they once were. The doors of the stalls are painted with nature scenes specially crafted by each of the members. In addition, the inside walls contain empowering quotes, such as: “make it simple, yet significant” and “there is no limit to what you can accomplish.”

The idea was spawned from Senior Marissa McGillick, when she saw a TikTok of another group of highschool girls painting their stalls. She presented it to the officers of the school’s art club, JaguArts. After many weeks of planning and countless trial and error, the officers brought her idea to life.

Kayla Ferrer
Senior Aaliyah Boykins, as she strategically places painters tape in preparation for the scenery paintings.

Despite the time it took out of these seniors’ busy schedules, they all found the experience gratifying. Dana Khouri, one of the senior JaguArts, exclaimed, “Painting the stalls were really fun! It was nice to participate in something that will last for a really long time.” The students also value the seniors’ actions, as Sophomore Emily Tan says that she appreciates “that our seniors took time out of their schedules to put effort into making this part of our school enjoyable and more positive.”

Mrs. Faison and the seniors want the murals to serve as a reminder that girls are capable of achieving amazing things, and to inspire them to always be creative. Their purpose was proven when senior Reyna Rodas expressed, “The quotes are great, they’re empowering. Walking into the stalls makes me feel better about myself”.

Freshman Madelyn Jensen commented, “They look really pretty! It brings a lot of color, since the school is really plain.”

Kayla Ferrer
The final product of the stalls after many weeks of hard work from the Seniors.

Using their platform, the senior JaguArts members have made a lasting impression on our campus. Art is something they wish to spread amongst the population of University Preparatory, and this project has proven to be successful.