Dancing with the Dead

Dancing with the Dead

Sophomores Makayla Jimenez, Gimena Arteaga, Evelyn Gallegos, and Chyanne Harris were dancing like it was their last night.

Kimberly Garnica

Kimberly Garnica

Kimberly Garnica

Pamela Carlin, Journalist

Day of the Dead is a day celebrated among Mexicans to remember the loved ones who have passed away. It is celebrated from October 31st till November 2nd, which is why Spanish club decided to host a dance at University Preparatory on Friday, November 1, 2019.

The night was full of bright tones, from the color of face paints, vibrant flowers, and to colorful clothing. Everyone danced the night away, sang, and ate tasty tacos.  Students got their groove on at the dance full of celebration. Whenever a popular song came on, such as ‘La Macarena’ or ‘Caballo Dorado,’ the crowd would rush quickly to the floor and begin to dance. 

Juniors Elena Aquino and Victoria Couillard and Sophomore Ashley Canizalez dancing to the Cupid Shuffle

However, Day of the Dead is more than just a school event. In Mexican culture, it is viewed as a day of celebration rather than a day of sadness and is referred to as Día de los Muertos. The day honors family and friends who have passed. Sophomore Gimena Arteaga repeats the sentiment of tradition, “I celebrate the Day of the Dead because I know my past loved ones are celebrating with me, and I find this day so special because it makes it seem like they are closer to me.  I love that the school is so diverse because it gives everyone a chance to celebrate together and share this special day.”

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves at the dance and having a great time. Almost everyone got on the dance floor to dance at least once and, as the dance floor became more full, the chairs became empty. Sophomore Marcela Contreras states, “I don’t always celebrate the Day of the Dead, but if I do, I do something small just to remind myself what today is truly about. I had a lot of fun tonight and I danced so much. My favorite thing about Day of the Dead is all the dances which is why I had so much fun.”

Spanish club spent hours getting everything to go smooth. Overall, the hard work paid off because the dance was a success. Many danced, many ate, and many enjoyed the cold drinks after lots of time spent on the dance floor.