“There’s No Place Like Homecoming”: Behind the Scenes

Painting of the Wicked Witch of the West for the Class of 2020 by Senior Kayla Ferrer. The painting took 3 days to complete and was tedious work for Ferrer who comments,

Painting of the Wicked Witch of the West for the Class of 2020 by Senior Kayla Ferrer. The painting took 3 days to complete and was tedious work for Ferrer who comments, "The process was kinda frustrating because I couldn't get the facial features I wanted to do, so I painted it over and over again."

Yesenia Garcia, Journalist

This year’s annual Homecoming took place here on campus, at University Preparatory on October 25th, 2019. The theme this year was, “There’s no place like Homecoming,” inspired by “The Wizard of Oz.” Homecoming is the time of year where students and staff prepare for an exciting night of music, dance, and having fun. It’s where friends can be together and enjoy the night. It’s normally a week long organized event, with spirit week being a part of it to get the students in spirit for the big day. There’s many days maybe even weeks and preparation for this dance.

Behind all the fun and excitement there’s hard work, time, and organizing involved. It can also be stressful. Sophomore ASB member Vallariee Trevino said, “We literally lived here this week.” Coming from an ASB member who helped for the preparation of this event, it seemed to have taken a lot of time, especially the week leading up to it. On the actual day of, on Friday, October 25th, she mentioned that, “We missed all of our classes.” Even though the week of took a lot of time, the actual day itself was very hectic and as mentioned, took all of their time where they didn’t even get to go to class. It took lots of time and effort, and dedication, as well as patience.

Those attending Homecoming might not realize the time and effort that was put into this dance so that everyone can have a fun night with their friends. But those who were part of the preparation and organization know. As much as it took time and dedication, it also brought upon stress to those ASB members who participated.

When asked if homecoming preparations were stressful, Senior ASB President Yusra Oda mentioned, “Yes, homecoming preparations were stressful due to the fact that we wanted to go above and beyond with our decorations which required more time and patience.” Coming from the ASB President, it seems like it was a very stressful time for them and they just wanted it to be the best it could. Those attending had their own opinion on how the dance looked and turned out. When asked how it looked, Sophomore Anna Komorita announced, “It looks really nice and it was fun.”

That hard work did pay off in the end, and it was all worth it because many of those who went really enjoyed it and had a really good time.