Taking Action on Climate Change

Taking Action on Climate Change

Greta Thunberg, a young Swedish activist, spoke at the Austrian World Summit and at the UN Climate Action Summit at New York City in 2019. At both events she talks about how urgent it is for world leaders and ordinary people to do something about the climate change crisis.

Greta Thunberg, a young Swedish activist, spoke at the Austrian World Summit and at the UN Climate Action Summit at New York City in 2019. At both events she talks about how urgent it is for world leaders and ordinary people to do something about the climate change crisis. "This is above all an emergency and not just any emergency. This is the biggest crisis humanity ever faced."

By Bundesministerium für Europa, Integration und Äußeres - Austrian World Summit Climate Kirtag, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=79314724

Caitlynn Kelley, Journalist

Climate change. These two simple words make up a very heated topic in our present society.

Whether you agree about  the existence of climate change or not, people do agree that it is a major issue. On September 23, 2019, there was a Climate Action Summit at the United Nations. Greta Thunberg, a young Swedish student who is very passionate about climate change, talked at this summit. Her speech has inspired a new generation on taking action on climate change.

Senior Nour Rajha is very knowledgeable of climate change, and is very passionate about the subject. “In California recently, a law was created that every new house that’s built is required to have solar panels. I think that is very beneficial because it would reduce the amount of fuel emissions that is required to create electricity. I think in the future, they’ll do more things regarding solar power.”

Mrs. Price, the AP Environmental teacher, showed her deep concern towards if our society tries to reverse climate change. “I think it’s something that we have to really worry about. I think that if we don’t start to make some changes- as human society in general, not just here in California or in the United States- but across the whole world that we’re headed down a path where we are kind of into a place of no return.” Price says, “I think that if we don’t make those choices sooner rather than later to make those changes, that your generation is going to have some dire consequences to deal with.”

Mrs. Price also was very inspired by Greta Thunberg’s powerful speech at the United Nations Climate Action Summit. “That was an amazing speech. As a teacher I’m inspired when I see students; young adults getting out being aware of what’s going on in the world and then making demands for their future. That’s inspiring to me that a student that age can make a difference to call people to the issue and people follow. That’s amazing to me. I think it’s wonderful.”

Junior Jermaine Smith sheds a different opinion on this heated topic. “I believe that climate change is real, but I believe that it’s natural and that it’s not as man-made as they claim it to be. I try to see both sides of the argument and decide. One side that I more or less lean to says that climate change is natural because the earth’s climate has always been changing, and some sources say that it’s been getting colder and it’s just something that makes more sense to me.”

Smith was definitely unconvinced about the legitimacy of Greta Thunberg’s speech.  “My thoughts on Greta Thunberg’s speech is that it’s very unconvincing. She uses a lot of unrealistic speech, like mass extinction and stuff like that. A lot of it is over-exaggerated, I think even she thinks so as well that it’s over-exaggerated. Considering her condition and considering the whole place she was- maybe anxiety- I feel like she did good or maybe it was just a script. It just seemed unconvincing to me because there was really no research to back it up. If it was a script, she could have at least put in some research or something to back it up.”

Many students not only at University Preparatory, but around the whole world, have differing opinions on climate change. However, all of these students have one thing in common: they want to make change on how climate change will be approached in our society.