Dia De Los Muertos

The+Spanish+students+of+Mr.+Garcia+decorate+sugar+skulls+to+put+on+the+Ofrenda.+

Dia De Los Muertos

The Spanish students of Mr. Garcia decorate sugar skulls to put on the Ofrenda.

Miah Alamillo

Miah Alamillo

Miah Alamillo

Daniella Carrasco, Journalist

Dia De Los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is worldly known as a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and certain Central and South American regions, as well as those with Hispanic heritage. The holiday itself consists of a two day period in which the families participate in celebrating and respecting the life of their lost loved ones. The first day is known to be dedicated to the children who have happened to pass away, and the second day is to honor those adults who have passed on.

In Mexico, many festivities are held such as parades and dances, and as well feature offerings from families made to their loved ones consisting of items they were known to have enjoyed. Families usually set up altars with flowers, photos, and whatever they deem fitting for their deceased loved ones. This traditional holiday however, does not exactly hold out the same in different countries although celebrated within the Hispanic culture. Many people celebrate it differently than others, even if it’s families coming from Mexico, depending on the state or city they’re from, they all have different traditions. 

Sophomore Vrianna Coulliard says that she and her family celebrate the holiday in their household, and they even bake the traditional “Pan De Muerto” to put on their altar. However, her household actually celebrates both days and on the first day dedicated to the children, her mother places food for them. When asked what she put on the altar, she said her family decorates the altar with the traditional flowers used for the holiday, the Mexican Marigold. Her family originates from both Cuba from her father’s side, and Guadalajara, Mexico. Although Coulliard says her father’s side doesn’t really celebrate the holiday, she says her family from Mexico really enjoys it. When asked her own thoughts on the holiday she responds saying, “I would say it’s a special holiday to me because it’s a nice way to celebrate your loved ones that have passed away.”

Junior Robert Garcia says that his family also celebrates it, and described the way they set up their altar. “We usually put flowers, photos of them, and food each of them enjoyed. We celebrate only one of the days, the one more commonly known as Day of the Dead.”

Both students’ families originate from different countries, and with them they hold different traditions. The Day of the Dead is set up in a way where the Hispanics can honor their passed loved ones in their own way. The holiday is not meant to have an exact standard, and for most Hispanics they share the day with gratitude and love for those around them and those they cherished.