Is Victorville Safe to Trick-or-Treat?

Is Victorville Safe to Trick-or-Treat?

Photo illustration of a child holding candy in a bucket for Halloween night.

Jasmin Perez

Jasmin Perez

Jasmin Perez

Jasmin Perez, Journalist

The month is October. The weather is cold and a group of teenagers finds themselves stuck in a situation that involves a killer. They run through the forest, some ending up injured or worse, and all are screaming. Why is this such a familiar idea when it’s such an outlandish concept?

Marketing has made it that way. Halloween has become a market ploy to a few, and a tradition to many. People like the idea of the unknown and having a spike of adrenaline every once in a while. But has the playfully scary movies and stories become true? Has the environment surrounding the event of trick-or-treating become a horror movie in itself? Do people even feel comfortable being in Victorville to trick-or-treat?

When doing a survey on social media if people were comfortable to be in town to trick-or-treat, the responses were not surprising. Of the 86 that saw the poll (a mixture of freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors), 59% said they didn’t feel comfortable which left 41% being the minority for feeling okay with it.

Those that said yes seemed to be comfortable because they lived in pockets of the town that were more monitored, and had less crime. Junior Jermaine Smith responded saying, “I [still] trick-or-treat in my neighborhood because it’s a safe community, kind of like Spring Valley Lake”.

Still, it’s no wonder why such a majority are against the very idea of setting foot late in Victorville at night and walking door-to-door to get candy from strangers. The idea itself is rather odd, and with the mixture of media depicting Victorville in such a negative light most of the time it can be seen that the boycott for trick-or-treating in Victorville is strictly for the safety of everyone in mind.

Victorville has always been plagued by crime, drugs, prostitutes, and even violence. The media more openly advertising this has turned those living within the town to maintain their alertness in order to keep their lives as unaffected by it as much as possible.

Of course, the fun doesn’t have to end. Some advised to go in groups, find friends that live in those pockets of better neighborhoods and go with them, or to stay in well-lit areas of town to make sure that others can see you through use of reflective tape or streetlights.

Freshman Kristina Adikari brought up a very thorough response when asked if she went trick-or-treating. Other than it being a cultural difference between westernized America and her family (who are first-generation Americans), they don’t feel comfortable with her being outside on Halloween night, “in case something bad were to happen.” She later explained that she goes to her local church during Halloween. It makes a situation that worries the family into a spiritual experience.

And not only that, a handful of people brought up other separate events to trick-or-treat safely. The Mall of Victorville is hosting a quick session from 4-5 pm in participating stores to hand out candy. The majority of other churches (including Kristina who is going to a trunk-or-treat) in Victorville also make sure to keep their doors open Halloween night for children to get candy and stay safe.

It seems that everyone has different plans for Halloween night when it comes to trick-or-treating. Regardless if Victorville truly is a dangerous during Halloween or not, many aren’t planning on risking it and have made plans for themselves to stay safe and still have fun.