Back to School Night: Senior Perspective

Be Prepared! Mr. Czarnota speaks in front of the class of 2020 and their parents on Back to School Night, informing them about the hard work that will be going into their senior year.

Janelle White

Janelle White

Janelle White

Janelle White, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Parents usually enjoy being informed ahead of time about the daunting school work their child will have to go through in the months coming up on campus. For parents of 7th through 11th graders at school, Back to School Night is just another year of introductions to the teachers while enjoying the food that is being sold during the event. For senior parents, it’s a whole other story.

Janelle White
Senior Emily Dugan after the senior presentation in the MPR getting a bite to eat after spending the entire event inside listening to the multiple speakers on the senior year they will be facing.

Tracy Jensen, parent of senior Katherine Jensen, stated her thoughts on the presentation. “Kat’s been here since 7th grade. It was our first choice for a school. We knew it was good from the start.” She grinned, hugging her knee as she leaned forward and continued. “She’s my first child graduating, and I don’t know who’s more on edge: her or me! It’s hard for a parent.” Jensen elaborates, “You remember when you went to college and how free you felt, and then you realize how your parents felt stressed. I’ve already called my dad to apologize,” Jensen laughed.

Her daughter being in her senior year had reminded Jensen of her own years. “You guys have it more planned out. We didn’t have any counselor support, or that senior transition class, or talked about budgeting- which is just amazing!” She said, “You guys are also promoting VVC, which is such a feasible option for families.”

She continued talking about how she feels on the upcoming journey as a parent. “I’m scared stiff, but I feel more informed because of the handouts. I took notes, because obviously my kids aren’t here with me right now.” She said, gesturing around her. “Kat’s been looking forward to her senior year. Everybody looks forward to it. It’s the end of being a kid and the start of being of an adult, and all of the mythology surrounding it.” She explained, “It’s their turn now, you know. They’ve seen their friends go through it, and now it’s their turn.” Jensen grinned at the mention of ‘senioritis’, which is usually a decline in motivation through the final year of school. “I don’t know if you know, but Kat spends 4 hours at the dance studio, comes home and says she doesn’t want to do homework, and then she turns around and goes and does it!”

Janelle White
Ms. Darling talks to the audience about the senior year, translating for the Spanish speaking parents who are in the crowd with their children during Back to School Night on August 13, 2019.

As a parent of a senior and taking in all of the information at Back to School Night, it can be an anxiety-inducing experience. The presentation had helped many parents understand what they’re getting into for the final year of their child at University Preparatory, and be more prepared for the days leading up to graduation. Although the stressful experience for seniors begins at school, it can definitely manifest itself into the parents, and the rest of the family as well.  For the class of 2020, good luck seniors and good luck parents!