Saying Goodbye to One of UP’s Finest: Lou

Custodian Lou Zamudio cleaning the room of Science Teacher Mrs. By

Scarlett Price

Scarlett Price

Scarlett Price

Scarlett Price, Journalist

Has anyone ever noticed how the classroom is messy at the end of the day, but spotless the next morning? That would be the miraculous work of one of our custodians, Lou Zamudio.

Lou Zamudio is one of ten children, and previously worked on cement plants and substituted for 2 months at Victor Senior. He was a long term sub for a groundskeeper who got hurt, and then he transferred to custodial services.

He explains early Victorville as a “Mayberry”, a fictional town from a show. “Victorville was so small when I came here. It was like the show Mayberry- it was a small town. You didn’t have to lock your doors or close your windows. It was nice. Back then, there was water in the Mojave River.”

He’s been with the school since 2012, and has been the person to make sure everything is cleaned after the event, even after the hosts may be gone. Movie nights, Summer Splash, dances, and more.

“Every movie night, Lou makes it happen for the kids. He stays behind and he opens the bathrooms,” says Petersen.

With retirement, Lou states: “Now I have time to spend with my grandkids and do other things like hobbies… we got a lot of different projects to do. Right now, I’m doing a thousand piece,” Explains Lou. “Our kids are up in Vegas so there will be more of an opportunity to go there.” When asked if he would visit he responded, “Possibly, I got a lot of people I work with like Gloria and Richard, my boss. I mean, I’m not packing up and moving.” He says,  “It’s been good for me working here, I mean, I enjoyed it. But you know, the thing that helped with this job was the job before. I worked at a cement plant. Whoo! you talk about physical labor, hard work.”

Most students know Lou by working with him during detention or a way of community service hours. One of the students, Allen Nguyen, wanted hours in the beginning but then stayed after to help Lou with his job. During that time, they have formed a tight bond that will never be forgotten.

“I met him back in Sophmore year because I was in need for service hours. Junior and Senior years I needed hours so I naturally came to him. Over the years, I learned a lot from him and he’s extremely fun to talk.” Says Nguyen. When Nguyen was asked on his opinion about Lou’s retirement he replied, “There’s nothing much I can say about his retirement other than he deserves it and I wish him love and good health. When I discovered he was retiring, I decided I should keep working with him the entire year.”

“I wouldn’t change nothing,” Lou comments on the school year. Lou is ultimately one the most memorable staff members that has graced our school and he will be missed greatly.