High Desert Academic Pentathlon

Academic+Pentathlon+competitors+are+having+a+meeting+in+Mrs.+Barr%27s+room.+They+one+two+3rd+place+trophies+and+one+1st+place+trophy.+

High Desert Academic Pentathlon

Academic Pentathlon competitors are having a meeting in Mrs. Barr's room. They one two 3rd place trophies and one 1st place trophy.

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega, Journalist

Melva Davis Academy of Excellence hosted this year’s annual High Desert Academic Pentathlon on May 4th.

After many months of studying for this academically grueling event, participating 7th and 8th graders met early Saturday morning to compete against local middle school teams in the following subjects: Literature, Essay Writing, Fine Arts, Social Science, Math, and Science.

Each team was subjected to taking multiple tests that tested their knowledge on each of the subjects and were tasked with writing a five paragraph essay. The main event ended with “The Super Quiz,” a compilation of 30 questions about the Sixties era. In comparison to past year events, this year’s Super Quiz teams were made up of up to 4 members, and the awards were announced later in the day.

Teams participated in one of the following categories: Varsity, which included students with a 2.5 GPA or lower; Scholastic, for students with a 2.6-3.0 GPA; and Honors, for students with GPAs between 3.1 or higher.  

Eighth grader Porter Wyche was one of the competitors representing our school.  When asked about his performance at this year’s event, he proudly said: “I won two 1st place medals, one 3rd place medal, and one 4th place medal.”

Porter had this advice for future pentathlon participants, “Just study because they will take out small portions out of the big study guides.”

University Prep ended up in a three-way tie for 1st place in the Super Quiz.  The other two 1st place schools were Riverside Prep and CIMS.

Retraction 6/13/19 @5:55 am: The student’s name was incorrectly identified as Wyche Porter. It has been changed to Porter Wyche.