Scholarships at University Preparatory

Scholarships at University Preparatory

Megan Numen right after she accepted her scholarship award.

Hisham Qotami, Journalist

College is expensive, especially if you have to pay for most or all of the tuition.

To help combat this, there is financial aid or scholarships for those who don’t qualify for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Students who don’t want to take out loans turn to filling out scholarships that vary from 25 dollars to a full ride at the college of your choice. Although there is a lot of competition, some of our very special students have won a lot of extra money that will help them by paying of some of the extra expenses found in their colleges.

Some of these scholarships were won from the Senior Presentations which included a $500 prize. The winners were Malik Oda, Taji Williams, Jason Cabrera, and Viviana Garcia for their amazing presentations on a variety of different world issues/personal experiences.

We talked to one of the recipients Jason Cabrera about his experience with this scholarship and he said “I was honestly proud of myself for having put so much effort into trying to perfect my presentation, the first thing I did was do my research. I made sure I knew enough to be able to have a conversation with the judges about anything regarding my topic. After I completed my research and put my presentation together, I simply rehearsed.” When he was asked what he would use the money for Jason stated, “I still have some money to pay for my freshman year at UCR so I intend to use my money on paying my tuition.”

The senior winners earned these scholarships for their outstanding presentation skills and their bright and persuasive personalities. Although $500 dollars is a lot, it barely puts a dent in some students college tuition. In result, other students went for bigger scholarships.

One very important and worth while scholarship to apply for in Victorville is the Doris Davies scholarship. Doris Davies was a lifelong advocate for the children of the City of Victorville. She coached youth sports, refereed, donated equipment, built playgrounds, and more. Doris Davies set up a scholarship worth $10,000 and three of U.P’s outstanding students won that scholarship.

Megan Numen, Viviana Garcia, and Se-reen Yim were all recipients of this scholarship.

Another student, David Cendejas, recieved a full ride to Columbia through the Quest Bridge program on which he applied to in the beginning of his senior year. 

Congratulations to all the students that have won any sort of scholarships. We know that you will do great things in the future.