Listen UP

Preparing for Orchestra Auditions

A violin. 
It take 3 to 4 years to learn
or maybe even more, but you never stop learning.

Samantha Casarez

A violin. It take 3 to 4 years to learn or maybe even more, but you never stop learning.

Samantha Casarez, Journalist

Auditions for Orchestra began on Wednesday, May 8th, 2019 and since then many have been talking about them around campus.

Freshman Nathan Huynh says the most important thing is “to be prepared.”  Huynh says the best way to prepare is to “practice everyday for about 30 minutes and don’t leave the practicing to the last minute.”

While all this is a crucial part to being ready, freshman Emily Tan took a different perspective on this topic saying “I think it’s important to believe in yourself, and don’t put yourself down all the time. Like yes, you have to have integrity when you make mistakes, but if you’re all worked up and constantly convincing yourself that you’ll do bad, then when you do the audition, you won’t play as good or to your full potential because you didn’t have the confidence in yourself.” She then went on to say what she believes is an important way to prepare saying, “Focus on breathing and calming yourself down so you don’t get so worked up and self deprecating yourself.”

When asked about what piece is played during the audition Nathan Huynh explained saying, “Well you see, people from advanced strings have a certain piece to play but wind instruments, percussion, etc. use their own music or they can ask Mr. Orane for a recommendation.” He later added, “There’s three different parts to the audition, the prepared piece, scales, and sight reading. The most difficult part is the sight reading.”

With all this pressure, what keeps them going? Well Nathan says, “For me, when I was in beginning strings and I heard orchestra play, that made me respect orchestra a lot and they played awesome songs. They sounded so good and that just made me want to join.”

Emily Tan says, “I felt the need to keep going and to challenge myself more. It’s more fun to constantly try new or harder things than to be too comfortable and you also make other people and yourself proud once all the work you’ve done payed off in the end.”

Everyone has their different quotes, different pieces of advice that help them through situations. Huynh states the piece of advice that he believes is the best he’s gotten is “Practice makes precision,” a quote by Mr. Orane.

For Tan, its advice that helps her. “The best advice I’ve gotten was to just try again. Maybe you didn’t make it the first time but the amount you audition is limitless, well for Mr. O’Rane. I kept auditioning and still didn’t make it in and I regret not trying once again because I really believe I could’ve made it in this year. So just don’t lose hope and keep trying because you can improve, just be real with yourself.”

About the Contributor
Samantha Casarez, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Listening to music, writing music, analyzing song lyrics, collecting coins,...