Listen UP

Science Competition: Providing a Solution to a Question

Seventh grader Leila Kessler had one of the best projects and will be applying for Broadcom Masters Competition in June, shooting for the big prize of $25,000.

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega

Javier Ortega III, Journalist

The goal: to engineer a solution to a question!  

This was the challenge for this years’ students participating in the science fair; to come up with a question and help solve it. University Preparatory students stood up to this challenge and several projects were turned in. Mrs. Price then invited judges to select the top 7 projects, which were eventually sent to participate at the district science fair.  

The school district was tasked with selecting the 6 best school projects, which were all University Prep student projects. These projects, along with a few other projects from other schools, were then sent to compete at the County Science Fair, which was held on April 2nd. The County Science Fair consisted of the best projects from all of the districts in San Bernardino County.  

It was here that 2 of the projects, one from seventh grade Nirvana Alba and the other from seventh grade Bethany Morrison, got bronze medals. Two other projects, seventh graders Leila Kessler’s, and seventh graders Mylah Punla and Alex Alexander Diaz Cruz’s team project, received gold medals. Although, Leila Kessler’s project was rather personal as she stated, “My dog has a wound on his hind leg and I noticed that the cones do not fully prevent the dog from scratching.” These two gold projects have now been nominated to go to a national competition.

The 2 gold projects were also sent to participate at the April 29th and 30th state science fair competition in Los Angeles. 800 entries from all over the state of California were participating. Out of the 800 entries, 485 were middle school projects.  It was here that Leila Kessler placed 5th place and received an honorable mention.

What’s next for the National Competition?  In June, 3,000 projects from around the country are expected to be submitted and nominated. Only 300 projects will make the first cut.  From there, only 30 projects will be selected to participate in the next round. These students will get a free ticket to Washington D.C., along with a free hotel room and free food. The top winner will receive a $25,000 reward.  

Mrs. Price states, “This event is open to all grade levels, not just middle schoolers.” They would like to have more competitors, so the next time there is a science fair sign up and continue the tradition of competing at the county, state, and national levels.

About the Photographer
Javier Ortega, Journalist

Position: Clubs, Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Exercise, sports, traveling, and working

Favorite Foods: Steak, shrimp, and burritos

Astrological...