Listen UP

Through Their Eyes: University Preparatory Welcomes a Group of French Students

Sophomore Kaytlin Reyes poses with french student Manon at the French Students' goodbye event.

Photo Credits: Kaytlin Reyes

Sophomore Kaytlin Reyes poses with french student Manon at the French Students' goodbye event. Photo Credits: Kaytlin Reyes

Stacy Vazquez, Journalist

On April 29th, University Preparatory, for the first time, welcomed a group of French students. Each student was assigned to either a Junior or a Sophomore volunteer. A few freshmen boy volunteers were also selected to have a French student follow them throughout the school day and accompany them to each class.

This was an opportunity for the french students to see and experience what an american high school is like. Many of the foreign students could speak a good amount of English which was useful, so they didn’t feel as lost. The french student had the chance to shadow the students from first period to the last class of the day from Monday to Wednesday.

Not only was this a new experience for University Preparatory, but for the young french students too. It was their opportunity to see what the United States was like. One of the young french girls Tannina stated, “The most difficult part was leaving our parents” when asked what she found most difficult about traveling to a foreign country.

The students at University Preparatory rarely hear from observers. The French students were able to see the school from an unbiased point of view rather than the Jaguars that are part of and make up the school. What stood out about our school to Tannina was that we were “kind and welcoming” because “people are not [as welcoming or kind] in France”.

She also mentioned expecting Americans to eat a lot, and that she found exploring an american high school a “nice experience”. She also stated she’d do it again. Overall, meeting students from a different country and seeing how many similarities and differences we share was an experience both the Jaguars, and exchange students will never forget.

About the Writer
Stacy Vazquez, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Dance, Read, Editing, and Sleep (Krush & GSA Member)

Favorite Foods: Ice...