Gas Prices Shooting Up

Gas Prices Shooting Up

Gas stations around town have, what some will consider as high. This can be a problem for people who travel often.

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia, Journalist

During the year, gas prices have changed dramatically, and more recently, they have soared to over $4 a gallon in many of California’s cities. This situation is a problem for many people. The working middle class and those barely getting by are most impacted, but it is also a problem for anyone who drives to work everyday and needs to fill up their tank before hitting the road.

According to a Fox Business article, the gas prices have not been this high in California, since 2014. Fox Business also states, that the average gas price in the state of California is about $4.03 per gallon.

Gas prices have risen more than 20 cents a gallon in the past month, an analyst from CBS News stated. Jamie Court of Consumer Watchdog said that these prices will likely spike due to the recent California refinery fires, not to mention that prices generally go up even more during the summer than any other season because people are getting ready to travel.

AAA states that the national average price for gas is $2.85 per gallon. Since the average gas price is low, when the gas prices change it shocks people. Some people might find it hard to pay for gas when the prices rise, especially the people who are getting ready to go on vacation.

Junior Osiris De Leon said, “I think that the gas prices are extreme, Some people can’t afford it. It affects drivers because they have to work more to be able to pay for gas.”

Sophomore, Lexis Meza said,”I wish the prices were not so high because people need money to go places. Paying for gas takes money out of other expenses we need.”

Between California’s energy taxes and the mystery “surcharges” from the refineries, there doesn’t appear to be an end in sight, and yet according to the California Globe, Governor Gavin Newsom has ordered the California Energy Commission to investigate and reveal their findings by May 15.