The Student News Site of University Preparatory School

Jaguar Baseball Boys with Big Comeback Against Excelsior

Sophomore Anthony Lopez with a big smile after Jags comeback against Excelsior

Audrina Menchaca

Audrina Menchaca

Audrina Menchaca

On a sunny day of April 18th, 2019, the Jaguar boys baseball team went up against Excelsior High School at the Jaguars home field. To the joy of the boys, the made a strong comeback since their loss against Excelsior on March 7th and won 5-3.

Excelsior Eagles were up to bat first. Senior pitcher Rodolfo Mejia (#11) did not let the Eagles off easy and struck out the first batter, Raiden Toldness (#3). As the other 2 batters came up and hit, the Jags outfielders caught the balls with no hesitation.

Jasiah Martinez (#21) was up first to bat against the Eagles. Junior pitcher, Jacob Aldridge (#34) did not give Martinez the chance to get to first and got him out. As the first inning ended quickly with 3 outs from each team, the same thing happened for about 2 more innings until the end of the third inning came.

Freshman Alexis Martin (#2) was up to bat against a new Sophomore pitcher, Harrison Nandarrow (#18). Martin (#2) hit into left field and got to first base. Martinez (#21) was up to bat next and when Nandarrow threw the ball and threw too high, Martin decided to steal a base and get on second.

Martinez hit a single over the third baseman, bringing Martin in and making the score 1-0, Jags with the lead. As Excelsior came up to bat, they started to get more serious with Sophomore Christian Fernandez  (#42) on third base. Nandarrow (#18) hit to the far left outfield, and Alexander Yuen (#15) could not get his eye on the ball and it hit the ground, bringing in Fernandez (#42) as he made the game 1-1.

Bottom of the fourth inning, Jaguars were up to bat and the inning was a very good one for the Jags as they scored 4 more runs.  Anthony Lopez (#22) got walked. Mejia (#11) hit in the far right field and the infielders made minor mistakes which caused Mejia to get on base. Oscar Rosales (#12) took a hit and walked to first, leaving the bases loaded for the Jags.

Martin (#2) brought Lopez (#22) in and Martinez (#21) brought Mejia (#11) in very quickly, leaving the score at 3-1. Next up to bat was Gustavo Meza (#25) hitting to center field. The outfielders could not get their eye on the ball, making a good play for the Jags as Meza (#25) brought in runners, Rosales and Martin, and bringing himself to second base, leaving the score at 5-1.

The Eagles came in after Jags, taking their lead and tried coming back. Up to bat was Toldness (#3) and hit to the outfielder Cecil Foster (#23) but, with the sun in the player’s eyes, he could not catch it and Toldness got on base. Next, with the exact same play, was Cramer Hamilton (#25) who also hit to Foster but he could not get his eye on the ball.

Fernandez (#42) was up next to bat and got on base making the bases full. Nandarrow (#18) brought in both Toldness and Hamilton leaving the score at 5-3. After the 4th inning, it seemed as if neither Jags could keep their lead and the Eagles were doing everything they could in trying to catch up, but the Jags did not let them get past second base.

Once the game ended, the Jaguar boys all came into celebrate with back flips and their traditional heel kicks that they do at the end of each game. Junior Gustavo Meza was interviewed to see how they felt after coming back after a loss of 12-2 when the Eagles beat them on their home field.

“We deserved this because of the amount of time and effort we have been putting in at every games just for this one big game. This was one of the biggest games of the season yet because of the fact that Excelsior is in first place.” The Jags came back strong and they are all excited to see what the future has for them with this win.

Listen UP • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in