Interviews: What to do?

Interviews: What to do?

Before an interview, interviewers will often write down some questions as a reference as what they will be asking. In some interviews,  interviewers will record the conversation for quotes.

Before an interview, interviewers will often write down some questions as a reference as what they will be asking. In some interviews, interviewers will record the conversation for quotes.

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia, Journalist

Some people find interviews nerve-wracking or scary. They can be scary due to the fact that you do not know what questions will be asked. However, the unknown shouldn’t scare you out of providing information.

During an interview, you should try to be as calm as possible and keep eye contact with your interviewer. Dress appropriately for your interview, and make sure you’re not late. Simple things like the way you dress or the way you act can be a red flag for the interviewer.

Don’t forget to introduce yourself as soon as the interview starts. When the questions are being asked, never lie because they may end up finding out and it can cost you your job at a later date.

Act politely, thank your interviewer for their time at the beginning and end of the interview. Try not to take too much time thinking about your answer, but also try not to respond too quickly. Be sure of yourself and the answer you’re about to give. And remember, not every interview will necessarily be good. There will be at least one interview that you will wish you could redo, but don’t stress about it. Learn from mistakes and take that experience into your next interview.

Sophomore Kaytlin Reyes, shares an embarrassing interview she had and says, “One day, when I went to Vegas, there was a car crash and a news reporter interviewed me. He asked me what I thought about the situation and I said, ‘I don’t know man, I just want to go home. I didn’t even want to come to Nevada because it’s too loud.’ While this was happening, I kept making this dumb smile.”

Another sophomore, Valeria Flores also shared one of her disastrous interviews,¨My embarrassing interview was my yearbook interview. During this interview, I was nervous to say anything and what made it more embarrassing was that it was a public interview. After the interview, I felt fine and I didn’t really care anymore.”

When going to an interview, approach the situation with confidence and with an open mind, ready to handle any questions thrown your way.