Listen UP

Unity in Diversity: ADI Leading Asian Representation at UP

ADI held their first meeting on October 24th, 2018, the same day as Heritage Day during Spirit Week.

Mr. Colon

Mr. Colon

Mr. Colon

Troy Gamurot, Journalist

Concerned for the Asian representation in their community, Senior Se-reen Yim and Junior Eric Vo joined the ADI Ambassadors program and established their very own ADI chapter on October 2018. ADI Ambassadors is a nationwide high school that was established under Asian Diversity Inc. with the aim of fostering both leadership and soft skills in Asian students.

As Se-reen explains, “We felt compelled to start the club because Asians at school and the US are seen mostly as ‘worker bees’, but aren’t really represented well in public.”

“You don’t really see Asians in leadership positions in the US,” Eric clarified. Hoping to help make a change in the community, Se-reen and Eric formed the club in hopes of bringing attention to this current issue and helping others make it as leaders in the future. As Eric states, “We want to empower Asians to show that we aren’t just about grades and work; we can be in positions of leadership too.”

Though there is much emphasis on helping Asian youth grow as leaders, the founders of UP’s ADI are also working to spread awareness about how diverse Asian people are.

“We wanted to bring awareness to the fact that Asians that aren’t typically seen as Asians are Asian too,” said Se-reen. Referring to the more western of the Asian nations, such as Pakistan and Iran, and how they aren’t always seen as Asians, ADI also aims to inform people on how the cultural diversity of Asians isn’t limited to typically associated Asian countries such as Vietnam, Korea, and China.

In order to help spread awareness and build leadership skills within the club members, Se-reen and Eric try to diversify their meetings and hold activities. “We try to have both fun and informational meetings,” expressed Vo.

To keep the meetings feeling fresh, ADI would hold group activities during meetings in order to not only have the members participate in fun community building, but to help foster leadership skills and culture awareness within each member as well. In having group activities, such as a networking program to introduce themselves and holding more culture based activities where students shared something about their culture, club members are given a gist of how networking works in the real world and are exposed to the many Asian cultures present at UP.

Reflecting back on the club’s first year as a whole, Se-reen commented that, “For our pilot year, I feel like we did really good.” Se-reen was especially impressed at the great diversity of the club members, with a good balance of grade levels, western Asians, and non-Asians joining the club.

When talking of the future, Se-reen and Eric expressed their hopes that the club will continue to grow consistently and that ADI’s message of Asian empowerment and diversity will continue to be passed on.

Thanks to the continuous attendance of the club members and the hard-working efforts of Ambassador Se-reen Yim, Deputy Ambassador Eric Vo, Secretary Lily Nguyen, Events Coordinator Julieta Martinez, and Publicity Coordinator Allen Nguyen, ADI has definitely had a successful year and a positive outlook on the future to come.

About the Writer
Troy Gamurot, Journalist

Position: Clubs Committee Journalist

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: I enjoy playing video games, watching movies, and sleeping.

Favorite Foods: Ice...