The Pollution Problem

The Pollution Problem

Pollution is much worse down the hill than up the hill. You're able to see that when traveling down Cajon Pass where the sky becomes foggy with smog and pollution.

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia

Yulianna Garcia, Journalist

Pollution can be created in many ways, like smoke from aluminum companies or smoke from cigarettes. Too much pollution can be harmful to people. According to U.S. News, many people have died and continue to die due to the diseases that pollution cause. Diseases such as, increased blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, and heart failure. Pollution can cost people their lives especially children, since their immune system is not as developed as adults.

In the LA Times article, it states that freeways or busy roads are the most polluted areas and people who live near freeways tend to have asthma, cancer, heart problem, and many more health problems.

Sophomore Erika Pipkin gave her opinion on pollution and how we, as a society, can contribute to reducing pollution. “I think one of the most worrisome sources for pollution is aircraft and mobile vehicles. One really good way, that I can think of, to reduce air pollution is to cut back on exhaust fumes or fossil fuels.” Pipkin stressed the importance of being aware of air quality with a personal effect she experienced. “I also think that, if you have medical problems or not, it will effect you because I don’t have medical problems and I got an asthma attack from cigarette smoke.”

In the High desert, the sky is noticeably clearer than that of the sky down the hill where the area is like a bowl of soup of smog. Compared to the air quality of Los Angeles, residents of the High Desert experience better air here than there but that doesn’t mean pollution isn’t an unimportant topic.

According to Mojave Desert Air Quality, southwest winds blow the pollution from the South Coast Air Basin (SCAB) into the area of the High Desert. The air is monitored and when there is a rise in pollution, the MDAQMD work to find ways to bring the level back to the standards set forth by the federal ozone standard.  Rules and plans are given by the MDAQMD to maintain healthy air.

Junior Nadia Granados shared the sentiment of the MDAQMD commented, “Pollution is something we should take care of because there are people dying due to pollution and that’s not good. Ways we can fix the pollution issue is by fixing the cars that give off smog and also trying to fix the ozone by reducing fossil fuels. I feel like asthmatic people suffer from pollution the most because it’s hard for them to breathe.”

About the Contributor
Yulianna Garcia, Journalist

Position: Clubs Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Soccer

Favorite Foods: Mexican

Astrological Sign: Libra

Music Playlist: R&B,...