The Student News Site of University Preparatory School

Jags Start Winning Streak

March 26, 2019

On March 15, the Jaguar baseball team played their third league game at AAE’s home field and won 9-2.

In the first inning, junior Jasiah Martinez (#21)  started the game off with a hit and got to first base. Xavior Campos (#17) got walked to first and Travis Madden hit straight to AAE’s pitcher Joe Stone (#23), giving the Jaguar Boys their third out.

The third inning was when things started to get more intense when junior Gustavo Meza (#25), junior Travis Madden (#3), and sophomore Anthony Lopez (#22) were all on base and Lopez (#22) brought in Meza and Madden. Next up to hit was Junior Alexander Yuen (#15), who brought in Lopez, making the score 3-0. This lead was not kept by the Jaguar Boys for very long, as AAE came back and scored 2.

Jaguar Boys were determined to keep their lead and the teams went through the fourth and fifth inning with no runs scored for either side.

In the 6th inning, Martinez (#21) hit a ball down the left field line, which rolled to the fence and resulted to a triple, bringing freshman Alexis Martin (#2) in from first base. Juniors Meza, Campos and Madden were all on base when Lopez came up to bat next and brought Meza and Madden for the second time leaving the score 6-2 in the 6th inning.

In the bottom of the 6th inning, senior pitcher Rodolfo Mejia (#11) got 3 strikeouts, leading to the top of the 7th inning, where Jaguar Boys started off with 2 walks by junior Cecil Foster (#23) and Yuen. Next up to bat was Martin, who hit a ground ball in between first and second, which resulted as a force out at second base. Martinez followed with a deep shot to left field, bringing in runners Martin and Yuen, as well as getting himself to third base. A base hit by Meza brought in Jasiah Martinez, which gave the Jags a score of 9-2 going into the bottom of the 7th inning, only needing 3 more outs to win the game.

AAE’s first batter #27, got on first base, but the momentum did not last long for the Knights and game ended and Jaguar boys come home with a 9-2 win.

After the game, Jasiah Martinez (#21) commented on the feelings going through him and how he felt with his team’s performance. “I felt great and everybody started hitting instead of striking out which helped us a lot and we were a lot more aggressive.” Martinez felt great about how they played and believes that this season will be “their” season and that all the teams that they have played against have just been taken lightly and they are not going to let that happen anymore.