Ninth Grade Trip

Ninth Grade Trip

University Prep freshmen waiting to go inside the NHRA Motorsports Museum at the Extreme steam fair

David Gonzalez

David Gonzalez

David Gonzalez

David Gonzalez, Journalist

For the first time in University Prep history, the ninth grade freshmen had a class field trip. Where to? Well, the S.T.E.A.M Fair at the Pomona Fairplex.

S.T.E.A.M. stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Agriculture, and Math. This fair is meant to get students excited to plan for the future and see options for their career paths. But, after arriving, a lot of the things the students wanted to do where closed, including the main parts of the art museum, the robotics area, and Bill Nye’s panel.

While the Art museum and Bill Nye were open on Saturday, the robotics team was holding a meeting so students could not go in. While the main activities around were mainly aimed towards little kids, like a little hay maze, Tetris, and small panels, the freshmen just wandered around parts of the fair, including the Farm, the Plaza of Arts, The Labs, The Park, and Museum row. When they had to leave, everyone expected to get home around 4 to 5, but the freshmen ended up getting back before 3, at around 2:55 Pm, a time before most of the after school activities end.

When asking around after the trip if it was worth it, Angelo Go stated that the trip was “worth it is my straightest answer.” When asked why he responded with this, “Because the stuff there was not that good.” Go enjoyed the early year with the other field trips, but couldn’t enjoy this one as it had many faults. “It was good start, but it could be improved on heavily.”

Freshman Quentin Ortiz’s opinion on the trip started off positive but noted later that the trip felt rushed and bland. “It was a good idea because we don’t get a lot of opportunities but, overall, it was boring. The most fun thing was the robotics show and we had to leave before it even started.” The common complaint from students was the little time they had to enjoy the trip itself since the attractions closed. “I feel like a better date would have been better because a lot of things were closed and, if it was a Saturday trip, we could have met Bill Nye.”

The trip was unpopular for most Freshman but hopefully next year will bring around some positive change.

About the Contributor
David Gonzalez, Journalist

Position: Clubs Journalist

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Playing role playing games (Skyrim, Elder Scrolls/ Dungeons and Dragons)

Favorite Foods:...