Towering the Competition at Physics Fun Day

Karina Quintero, Daniel Casillas, Angelica Flores, Diego Martinez, (left to right) Taking a victory photo with their winning paper tower

Salazar

Salazar

Salazar

Olivia Mendez, Editor

Every year, Mr. Salazar’s physics class goes to an annual field trip to Knott’s Berry Farm for Physics Fun Fay. Physics Fun Day is an annual event held at the park where students can participate in various challenges relating to physics.This year the event took place on the 14 of March, also known as Pie Day. There is a roller coaster competition, a paper tower challenge, and a paper airplane challenge.

The paper tower challenge can be considered the most intense of the three challenges because you can’t prepare for it like the others since its primarily skill based. The roller coaster competition and rubber band car challenge require you to build your competing structure beforehand, whereas the paper tower needs to be built on site and the challenge is timed.

Students are teamed up into groups of no more than four and they have to build the tallest paper tower using only a single piece of paper, a foot of tape, and a pair of scissors. After the timed session is over, judges measure each of the paper towers and check to see if they are stable enough to stand on their own. The winner is awarded to the group who builds the tallest tower with enough stability to stand. Although the competition was tough, seniors Karina Quintero and Angelica Flores, and juniors Daniel Casillas and Diego Martinez, towered over the competition and came in as second place winners.

Even though the competition seemed intimidating, this confident quartet didn’t seem phased by their competitors at all. The group actually felt very well prepared since Mr. Salazar had them practice the challenge in class in order to get familiar with the challenge.

Angelica Flores commented on their competitors by stating, “Some people were watching the tutorial and planning out strategies, something we already had figured out.”

“They looked very confused as if they had no idea what they were supposed to do.” Diego Martinez also commented with laughter, “We were very confident, however, the group I made fun of the most beat us.” Martinez also seemed frustrated with the materials as they slightly hindered their crafting ability. “The only part when I felt nervous was when they passed out the paper and tape. The tape felt like it lost its stickiness and the paper was very thin.”

It was clear that the group had tons of fun as they laughed and talked about their experience. They also seemed very excited about their prizes as they were each given two tickets to the park. Daniel even stated that winning the challenge made him feel like Rocky (Balboa). Hopefully next year’s physics class will have the same success and enjoy competing in the challenges as much as this group had.

About the Writer
Olivia Mendez, Editor

Position: Opinions and features editor

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: My favorite hobbies are painting and drawing. I also enjoy reading and taking...