Festival 2019

Festival 2019

During the first half of Festival 2019's awards ceremony, Jazz Ensemble and Madrigals received Silver ratings while Wind Ensemble and Orchestra received Gold ratings.

Troy Gamurot

Troy Gamurot

Troy Gamurot

Troy Gamurot, Journalist

On March 8th, 2019, University Preparatory’s Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, and Madrigals performed at the Forum Music Festival held at Long Beach Polytechnic High School.

Participating in the festival annually, the music groups perform to be judged by esteemed and accredited music professionals in order to receive insightful feedback to better develop themselves as musicians. Backed by hours of practice throughout the school year, both the students and teachers performed their very bests.

With the buses being scheduled to leave at around 6 A.M., the day began early, much to the chagrin of the students, teachers, and parent chaperones alike. As Junior Flutist Lauren Lee comments, “I woke up at 4 A.M. That’s all there is to say.”

Despite the buses’ early departure, the groups arrived late, leaving Jazz Ensemble in a rush to prepare since they were set to open as the first group to perform. In spite of their need to rush, Jazz performed skillfully whilst being led by Mr. Rust, switching musicians as planned and setting an excited tone for the rest of the day with their performance of “Uptown Funk”.

Alexia Figueroa

Hailing from El Cajon, CA, Hillsdale Middle School Advanced String Orchestra performed after Jazz, conducted by Mr. Casey Hernandez. During their performance, Wind Ensemble, led by Mr. Harps, was sent to the practice rooms to tune and warm up before their performance. Sophomore Trumpeter Zachary Martin was sufficiently prepared to give it his all, stating that, “I practice every day, except for Sundays and some Saturdays, for an average of 30 minutes to an hour.”  After playing their set and stunning the audience with their performance of selections from The Greatest Showman, Wind Ensemble made way for the next performance.

Alexia Figueroa

Set to perform after Hillsdale Middle School’s Husky Band, conducted by Mr. Spencer Caldwell, Mr. O’Rane and Orchestra were scheduled to conclude the instrumental portion of the show before the stage transitioned for the choral groups. Once finished with tuning and warm up, Orchestra entered the stage, greeted with warm applause. After performing Gabriel Fauré’s “Pavane”, Orchestra astonished the audience with their performance of selections from The Phantom of the Opera. Commenting on what she thought of the performance, Lee expressed that, “I think it was the best I played this entire school year. Everyone else played exceptionally as well!”

Alexia Figueroa

After a stage transition and set up, graciously provided by the Long Beach Polytechnic High School’s theater students, the choral groups were ready to perform. Booked to perform after Long Beach Polytechnic High School’s Chamber Choir, Hillsdale Middle School’s Mid Ensemble Choir, and West Palms Conservatory’s 6th grade Performing Pirates, Madrigals, led by Ms. Smit, was set to act as the penultimate performance of the day. After their enchanting performances of pieces such as “Ave Regina” and “Sleep”, Madrigals stepped off of the stage with cheers from the audience, making way for the final ensemble of the day, Ingleside Middle School’s Concert Choir.

Alexia Figueroa

Once Ingleside completed their set, the stage was cleared and the awards ceremony was underway. Jazz Ensemble and Madrigals were awarded with Silver Ratings; both groups met with cheers and hurrahs as a representative from each group walked up on stage to receive the award. Afterwards, Wind Ensemble and Orchestra were presented with Gold Ratings, to which Zachary Martinez of both Wind Ensemble and Orchestra commented that, “I was very ecstatic! I was yelling and was like ‘Yeah! We got gold!'”

Subsequently, after bestowing rating awards for group performances, individual students or sections were acknowledged for their Outstanding Musicianship. From University Preparatory, Freshman Jay’R Burgos of Jazz, Zachary Martin of Wind Ensemble, Senior Ashley Cano of Orchestra, and the Soprano section of Madrigals were awarded with Outstanding Musicianship awards. Zachary Martin commented that when his name was announced for the award, “I was in shock, but I was sick so I didn’t really have an expression. Everything was happening so fast!”

After a few group photos outside of the auditorium, the groups departed to spend the rest of the day at Knott’s Berry Farm. Following the roller coasters and funnel cake, the buses left the park at approximately 6:15, arriving back on school campus at 8 o’clock. “It was a good experience and I had a lot of fun with my friends,” said Zachary.

Despite the early morning and late arrival, this year’s Festival was definitely glittering with gold.

To view all of the festival videos, please click the attached link to Alexia Figueroa’s page below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVP_bgSzJtOdoaD_uXMwEKw/videos

About the Contributor
Troy Gamurot, Journalist

Position: Clubs Committee Journalist

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: I enjoy playing video games, watching movies, and sleeping.

Favorite Foods: Ice...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Festival 2019”

1. Orchestra Student on March 19th, 2019 8:15 am

I enjoy this piece very much. Very interesting. 🙂

2. Cemaira Romo on April 5th, 2019 9:34 am

I personally love journalism it is such a unique way of artwork in my position I would love to join journalism but I am unsure if I am able to join I am in the 7th grade currently and I love love to be apart of something I love to sing, dance, and act as well. As a matter a fact I am in the Mamma Mia play it is really a great experience for being my first year here. I love that this school offers so many extra-curricular activities. I just love being a multi-tasker if I don do something I feel very bad. I love to play softball and basketball I was also on the Junior Varsity team and it was a blast. This school has so much life and nice people. I also really love the W.E.B program I think that it was such a great idea to make new students feel welcome. I felt so loved and not at all alone. This school has so many friendly people in its school system. My brother also helped me make some more friends, his name is Travis Madden and it really helped me out knowing that I had people to help me with homework. Any ways thank you so much just for this school being amazing. By the way who ever is reading this right now have a GREAT day!

3. adviser on April 6th, 2019 7:44 pm

Thank you for your kind remarks. I will check with counseling about the availability of the class for middle school students and get back to you. We are always looking to recruit students who are creative. We hope you have a great day, as well!

• Festival 2019

Features

Iron Man Game

• Festival 2019

Features

Leslie Arroyo: Harvard Bound & Proud

• Festival 2019

Features

The Real Mrs. Hatcher

• Festival 2019

Features

Towering the Competition at Physics Fun Day

• Festival 2019

Features

Music Festival for Free?

• Festival 2019

Features

The Show Must Go On: Ashley Cano

• Festival 2019

Features

Carnegie Bound: An Interview With Anna Komorita

• Festival 2019

Features

Spreading Christmas Cheer with a Toy Drive

• Festival 2019

Features

Chamber Orchestra performs at the California League of High Schools’ Accolades Ceremony

• Festival 2019

Features

The ‘Key’ to Success: A Profile of Juan Navarrete

Festival 2019