Coming Together and Earning Experience: University Prep’s First Softball Tournament

University Preparatory softball team huddling together to wish each other luck before the game

Olivia Mendez, Editor

University Prep’s softball team played their first tournament from February 19th to the 23rd. The result placed them in a lower bracket in the tournament since they only won two of the five games that were played.

In the context of a small tournament, two wins out of five games is actually a good result. Taking into account that University Preparatory doesn’t have a large pool of students that play softball leaving us with a team consisting of only twelve players, and out of those twelve players, not many have tournament experience. Most of the teams that played in the tournament have a larger student population, thus creating larger teams. An added detail is that the kinds of teams they played against were high division teams with extensive experience in playing tournaments. With that said, two wins out of five games against experienced teams with more players is actually remarkable.

In an interview, coach Zimmerman was asked what his feelings were going into the tournament and if he felt that they had a good chance of winning and his response was the following “No. I say that as not to be a pessimist. I expected us to play well. Making us better for the postseason was my idea.”

Most would find it discouraging going into a tournament with that mentality but Zimmerman’s team understood his intentions. Senior softball player Jazmin Cisneros stated in an interview, “I feel like it was a learning experience for us to face good teams and learn from it.”

Zimmerman was also asked if he felt that his team learned anything from this experience and his response was insightful. “I apologized to them for making it too hard for them. They said that there was no reason to apologize because they said that they knew what we were there for and that the competition was good for them to see.” Members of the softball team understood that the purpose of this tournament was meant to be a learning experience and to have fun and that the main focus was not on winning.

Freshman Bibi Rodriguez was asked about her reaction towards coach Zimmerman apologizing for making it difficult for the team, “I don’t think he should have apologized. It wasn’t like we played bad and everyone crushed us sort of thing. We were all together and we just had a lot of fun.” Cisneros had a similar statement in her interview and said with a wide smile, “Seeing our bond on the team even though we faced a lot of losses, we still had a strong bond between each other.

Despite being placed in a lower bracket, the team still met their goal of bonding and improving together as a team while earning experience that will help them later on in the season.

About the Contributor
Olivia Mendez, Editor

Position: Opinions and features editor

Grade: 12th grade

Hobbies: My favorite hobbies are painting and drawing. I also enjoy reading and taking...