Jaguars Take Charge Against Warriors

Jaguars Take Charge Against Warriors

Junior Gustavo Meza (#25) gets ready to hit a double and let teammates score to extend their lead over the Warriors.

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Ruby Magana, Journalist

The Jaguars took home their third win of the season against the Apple Valley Christian Warriors. This non-conference game was at James Woody Park on February 22. At the end of the afternoon’s seven innings, the final score was 15-2.

At the top of the first inning, Jaguar junior Gustavo Meza(#25) hit a single to start of the game. After, senior Rudy Mejia(#11) also hit a single, leaving Meza closer to third base. Junior Oscar Rosales(#12) hit a single as well, leaving enough time for Meza to come all the way home, scoring the first run of the game.

In bottom of the first inning, Warriors player  J. Aviles(#30) hit a single right after H. Asano(#1), allowing Asano to advance to home plate and score his team’s first run of the game. Then A. Delgado (#7) hit another double, but Aviles was tagged out running to third base. Later, Delgado made his way to home, scoring his team’s second run. The first inning ended with the score at 1-2, with Apple Valley in the lead.

In bottom of the first inning, Warriors player H. Asano (#1) hit a double, as well as his teammate J. Aviles (#30) right after, leading Asano to home plate and scoring his team’s first run of the game. Then A. Delgado (#7) hit another double but Aviles was tagged out running to third base. Later, Delgado made his way to home, scoring another run for his team. The first inning ended with score at 1-2 with Apple Valley in the lead.

To begin the second inning, Jaguar junior Alex Yuen (#15) singled before junior Cecil Foster (#23) got walked after being hit by the ball thrown by pitcher A. Delgado (#7). Sophomore Anthony Lopez (#22) followed with a pop fly too high to catch, leaving time for Yuen to score another run for the team. The run put the score for the second inning tied 2-2, due to the Warriors being unable to score.

For the top of the third inning, Meza hit a single to start off. Junior Travis Madden (#3) hit a double, allowing Meza to get home and score another run. This inning was left with bases loaded but the Warriors were not able to hit off Madden. The Jaguars were then in the lead 3-2.

The Jaguar team extended their lead over the Warriors in the fourth inning with a run by Meza. However, both sides retired quickly and the fifth inning followed.

In the fifth inning neither team was able to get any players all the way to home plate, allowing the score to rest at 4-2 with UP in the lead.

Gustavo Meza was later asked about all his contribution to today’s game and how he managed to play hard in the weather. He responded with, “It’s a good feeling being able to help out the team in any way that I can. And, even though we don’t prefer playing in the cold, we still manage to try our best.”

Junior Josiah Martinez (#21) was able to score a run for the Jags in the sixth inning after teammate Madden hit a double. The Warriors, unfortunately for them, were not able to come up on any runs in the inning.

The Jags saw the most men coming home in last inning of the game, with a total of ten runs. The scoring streak started off with sophomore Carlos Lobo (#1) scoring and with him making the final one of the game. The Warrior side couldn’t manage to score after the Jaguars batted through their whole lineup, allowing the UP team to take home another win.

Although Apple Valley Christian team wasn’t able to defeat the Jaguars, they still showed team effort from beginning to end by swinging at whatever came at them.

Izabel Vazquez
Jaguars jump for joy after their win.

About the Contributors
Ruby Magana, Journalist

Position: Sports

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Listening to music, watching sports

Favorite Foods: Pozole, quesadillas

Astrological Sign: Gemini

Music...

Izabel Vazquez, Editor

Position: Sports Editor

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Reading, photography, listening to music

Favorite Foods: Kuy teav

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music...