Listen UP

Chaotic Weather

Chaotic Weather

River floods over into the street.

River floods over into the street.

Claudia Casarez

River floods over into the street.

Claudia Casarez

Claudia Casarez

River floods over into the street.

Samantha Casarez, Journalist

As of late, the weather has been “pretty chaotic,” as freshman Brooke Williams would describe it. It’s been filled with cold wind and rain, which has been causing quite a bit of danger on the road for some who drive almost everyday like most UP students, even if it’s their parents driving.

Public information officer, Sue Jones, says, “As you know, inclement weather can present driving hazards.” She then continued by saying, “For those of us living in the desert, storms that include rain and snow can present risks such as flooded roadways and slippery driving conditions.” Next she explained what they do, “The City of Victorville’s Public Works Division takes precautionary measures to assist with keeping our citizens safe during inclement weather.  For example, our employees from our Public Works Division monitor our City streets and look for potential hazards such as flooded roadways.  When such conditions may exist, our team may close city streets by posting barricades and signage following evaluations of the circumstances.”

When there are hazards that need to be announced, the warnings are usually posted on their city’s media accounts. Jones added that although the city of Victorville is responsible for maintaining streets within their jurisdiction, some roads and areas are managed by the County of San Bernadino and the State of California. “For example, Palmdale Road is a state highway 18 and maintained by Caltrans; and the I-15 is also a state roadway maintained by Caltrans.”

Now some may ask what is it that makes it dangerous to drive through these conditions. Jones comments, “It only takes a few inches of water to create a very hazardous situation where vehicles can be swept into deep water.”

Some students, such as senior Lily Nguyen, must drive themselves to school in these rough conditions. When asked how she felt about driving at times like these she said, “I don’t mind when the weather gets really cold, but it’s when it starts raining that I hate.” She then went further into details by saying, “Sometimes it starts raining pretty hard where you can’t even see the sidewalks or objects that might be on the roads because it starts flooding. She was then asked if she’s ever had any trouble with driving like this to which she responded, “I’m pretty sure I ran over something that might’ve been an animal when it started flooding near my neighborhood but I didn’t know that there was something there until my tires went over it, and sometimes because of the flooding when a car drives past me they make waves that’ll cover my entire front view so I’m literally blinded for a good 4 seconds which is kinda scary.”

It’ll usually take longer to get somewhere with weather like this depending on where you live. “I do leave the house earlier when it starts raining just because everyone tends to drive slower when there’s rain and I wanna make sure I get to my destination in time,” says Lily Nguyen.

It’s important to stay safe when the weather gets like this, especially if you have to drive. As Sue Jones said, “Obey all posted signs and devices, never drive around a posted road closure, and never drive into flooded roadways.”

About the Writer
Samantha Casarez, Journalist

Position: Academics/Journalist/Team Smarties

Grade: 9th grade

Hobbies: Listening to music, writing music, analyzing song lyrics, collecting coins,...