Oilers End Girls Varsity Soccer Season

Oilers End Girls Varsity Soccer Season

Sophomore Arianna Wiscowiche (#13) works hard to move past the Oiler defense and put the Jaguar team on the board.

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez

Izabel Vazquez, Sports Editor

The Girls Varsity soccer team experienced a devastating defeat at their neutral playoff game against the Montebello High Oilers, with a score of 3-0 on Friday, February 8.  The game was a part of the 2019 CIF Southern Section Girls Soccer Playoff tournament, meaning the game’s loss marked the end of their season.

The ladies embarked on the trip in the early afternoon, greeted by sunny weather and the Oiler’s turf field. The Jags had won their first round CIF game against the Maranatha Minutemen and were looking to win the game against the Oilers and move on to Quarter Finals. Junior Kaylani Morales (#24) anxiously said before the game, “My heart is beating just a bit fast, but it’s beating with fear, excitement, and confidence.”

Captain Audrina Menchaca (#18) shared some words her team before the game, telling the ladies to “play this game like it’s the last game you’re going to play. Play with your hearts.” Playing against a team ranked in the top 300 in the state required all of their heart indeed.

The Oilers pressured the Jags as soon as the whistle was blown. Freshman Tayler Avila (#15) did an exceptional job as a goalkeeper with six saves in the game, however, the Oilers managed to get the ball to the net in only the 11th minute of playing time.

The pressure from the Montebello team was nonstop and the Jags, who are used to playing offensively and having high scoring games, were forced to play more defensively. Montebello’s senior Cassandra Dias (#20) raised the score to 2-0 in the 15th minute.

Quickly after, sophomore Mikayla Flora (#12) made a break for the goal, however, no points for the Jags resulted from the effort. The half ended with the Jags down 2-0.

The second half of the game began with a more offensive push from the Jags.

Izabel Vazquez
The lady Jags work persistently to score, but were unable to make a goal against the Oilers, leading to the 3-0 defeat of the Jaguars.

The ladies competed fiercely for the ball and the half went scoreless up until the 22nd minute, where a shot managed to get past the Jags’ keeper, Morales (#24).

Tensions and effort remained at an all-time high for the ladies on the pitch until the final whistle, however, the hard work wasn’t enough for the Jags to advance in this season’s CIF Playoffs. Tears in the eyes of some ladies were wiped away by the small but proud group of Jag supporters, including friends and family of the players.

Izabel Vazquez
The sun set on the game against Montebello HS, and the Jags’ soccer season.

The loss in Montebello marked the end of the season for the Jaguar team, but their 14-4-4 overall record shows just how hard the team worked together this season.

About the Contributor
Izabel Vazquez, Editor

Position: Sports Editor

Grade: 10th grade

Hobbies: Reading, photography, listening to music

Favorite Foods: Kuy teav

Astrological Sign: Capricorn

Music...