Celebration and Victory for the Jags on Senior Night

Seniors Megan Connell (#4), Reyna Rodriguez (#14), Karina Quintero (#10), and Abigail Vargas (#2) pose for a group photo after a successful first half of the game.

Troy Gamurot

Troy Gamurot, Journalist

The UP Girls Varsity Soccer team won against the Academy for Academic Excellence’s (AAE) team on Thursday’s home conference game with a score of 5-0, setting their league record at 13-0-1.

With the game being senior night, Senior Abigail Vargas (#2) revealed that, “I was pretty nervous and anxious, but it was a lot of fun. I wasn’t focused on trying too hard and was just trying to have fun.”

After a quick group huddle under the tent, the girls cheered as they stepped onto the field, determined and headstrong with a powerful offensive strategy in mind. Despite the pouring rain and constant threat of slipping, both teams fought valiantly for the ball, with sophomore Nathalie Alvarez (#9) scoring a goal for the Jags just 11 minutes into the game.

9 minutes after Alvarez’s goal, Seniors Megan Connell (#4) and Reyna Rodriguez (#14) were able to successfully work together to pressure the Knights with aggressive tactics, resulting in Connell scoring another goal for the Jags.

AAE fought diligently, being able to fend off the Jags from another goal before the first half was over, but was unable to make a goal before the whistle blew, signaling the end of the first half with a 2 – 0 board in the Jags’ favor.

The teams warmed up before heading into the second half, with both the Jags and the Knights pushing forward with more offensive tactics than the former half of the game had seen.

For the Jags, this more offensive oriented strategy had successfully paid off as midway through the second half, the Jags were able to put constant pressure on the Knights, giving freshman Julia Perez (#22) the opportunity to score two goals back to back.

Right before the game ended, Perez was able to score another goal for the Jags, earning both her 10th goal of the season and securing the Jags a victory.

For Senior Reyna Rodriquez, this game was particularly special to her heart since it was both senior night and her birthday! Rodriguez states that, “I would say that was probably the best birthday I’ve ever had. The girls really made it special; they gave me gifts and really showed me how much they care. Because it was senior night and my birthday, I was definitely much more energized.”

This game was definitely one to remember for the UP Jags, packed with cheers of victory, recognition for the seniors, and birthday wishes for Rodriguez.